Akai s-3200XL + Gotek + HxC

mondo1976

Re: Akai s-3200XL + Gotek + HxC

Post by mondo1976 »

I think I made a bit of a mistake there. After further investigation, S3200XL does in fact have its very own specific OS. I wrongly overlooked that important tidbit, but don't worry, I'm on the case.

Okay... so here's the Akai S3200XL OS 2.0 disk. It's in Omniflop RAW and converted to HFE. It also includes the old OSMAKER program and S32XV20.ZIP contents, simply for the purposes of archival. Maybe someone will stumble onto this thread and want to punish themselves by making OS disks the ancient way... who knows? But you can safely ignore everything but the HFE.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OQk ... HFXRnc0cXc

I set the CFG file to treat all HFEs as IBM HD interface. Honestly, I really didn't think that was the right setting, but that's what got you successfully booted, so who am I to argue?

If that doesn't work, here's a 2nd conversion of the S3200XL OS v2.0 disk. This is the CFG and HFE set up the way I would assume is proper:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OQk ... Uc0Zm1sNlU

It's Akai 950 HD, so it's 1.6MB instead of 1.44MB (which is the way it's supposed to be). I'd actually try this before the one from the first link. The HxC software seemed to want to Auto detect it as IBM, but I know the disk is 80/2/10x1024 AKAI S-Series HD-disk 1600kB (80 tracks, 2 sides, 10 sectors, each sector is 1024 bytes instead of standard DOS sectors of 512 bytes) so let's see where it gets you.

I don't know that this will solve all your woes, but we're zeroing in on the solution. This should at least be the correct OS and it should boot just like the last one.

teevee

Post by teevee »

mondo1976 wrote:I think I made a bit of a mistake there. After further investigation, S3200XL does in fact have its very own specific OS. I wrongly overlooked that important tidbit, but don't worry, I'm on the case.

Okay... so here's the Akai S3200XL OS 2.0 disk. It's in Omniflop RAW and converted to HFE. It also includes the old OSMAKER program and S32XV20.ZIP contents, simply for the purposes of archival. Maybe someone will stumble onto this thread and want to punish themselves by making OS disks the ancient way... who knows? But you can safely ignore everything but the HFE.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OQk ... HFXRnc0cXc

I set the CFG file to treat all HFEs as IBM HD interface. Honestly, I really didn't think that was the right setting, but that's what got you successfully booted, so who am I to argue?

If that doesn't work, here's a 2nd conversion of the S3200XL OS v2.0 disk. This is the CFG and HFE set up the way I would assume is proper:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OQk ... Uc0Zm1sNlU

It's Akai 950 HD, so it's 1.6MB instead of 1.44MB (which is the way it's supposed to be). I'd actually try this before the one from the first link. The HxC software seemed to want to Auto detect it as IBM, but I know the disk is 80/2/10x1024 AKAI S-Series HD-disk 1600kB (80 tracks, 2 sides, 10 sectors, each sector is 1024 bytes instead of standard DOS sectors of 512 bytes) so let's see where it gets you.

I don't know that this will solve all your woes, but we're zeroing in on the solution. This should at least be the correct OS and it should boot just like the last one.
Sorry about the late reply, I made a mistake with the firmware eprom as I was erasing it and re-programming, which resulted in “faulty eprom”, but I finally got a working one with version 2.00

I tested your first link with both copying the .HFE and config on to the floppy:
1. The machine can recognize the image and found the volume “OS disk”
2. I´m able to format the image now without any errors.
3. I was able to rename the disk and save it and the machine was able to load the new image.

I also tested your second link with both copying the .HFE and config on to the floppy:
This result in a “No disk” error.

First of all, thank you for your help. I would not be able to make this work on my own.

The next question would be, how can we “implement” this solution to the HxCFloppyEmulator software to make it easier for the next with a similar problem? (Predefined etc.?)
• Jeff?

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I'm glad you got it working!

I'm not sure that the HxC software needs any new presets added, although you're correct that it's not abundantly clear how to approach it. My thinking is if you take the OS disk HFE, a blank formatted HFE, and the CFG and package them together then that's really all that's needed. Maybe just forward the final working version to Jeff and perhaps he'll add it to the Quick Install Disk Image bundle.

Either that or start a new thread that specifies the correct settings and give a link to the hosted bundle. I'm sure any desperate party will eventually stumble upon this thread and sort it all out, but making things concise is nice.

teevee

Post by teevee »

mondo1976 wrote:I'm glad you got it working!

I'm not sure that the HxC software needs any new presets added, although you're correct that it's not abundantly clear how to approach it. My thinking is if you take the OS disk HFE, a blank formatted HFE, and the CFG and package them together then that's really all that's needed. Maybe just forward the final working version to Jeff and perhaps he'll add it to the Quick Install Disk Image bundle.

Either that or start a new thread that specifies the correct settings and give a link to the hosted bundle. I'm sure any desperate party will eventually stumble upon this thread and sort it all out, but making things concise is nice.
Great, still thank you for the support.

I will later today make a package (Incl. config, OS image and empty image) for Jeff :)

teevee

Post by teevee »

Solution attached:
1 x Config file
1 x OS 2.0 bootdisk
1 x empty disk

Package is also forwarded to Jeff
Attachments
Akai S-3200xl.zip
(248.98 KiB) Downloaded 485 times

kevinmcnasty

Post by kevinmcnasty »

I know I'm kinda late to this party but if I just copy and paste those 3 files into my usb stick, I should be able to use my HXC Gotek in my S3200xl.
I've been fighting this battle for a while now but I believe it's time for me to reach out to someone for help. It's not looking too good for me right now :cry:

CAdair

Post by CAdair »

I am on an S1100 and would really like a folder I can copy to usb after formatting to Fat32.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

kevinmcnasty wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 am
I know I'm kinda late to this party but if I just copy and paste those 3 files into my usb stick, I should be able to use my HXC Gotek in my S3200xl.
I've been fighting this battle for a while now but I believe it's time for me to reach out to someone for help. It's not looking too good for me right now :cry:
What is going on ? more details please. (first what can you see on the gotek display.)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CAdair wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am
I am on an S1100 and would really like a folder I can copy to usb after formatting to Fat32.
Use the S950 images :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

CAdair

Post by CAdair »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:15 am
CAdair wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 am
Use the S950 images :
thank u

you dump those onto a fat32 formatted usb, run in HxC flashed Gotek and good to go?
has this been tested on s1100?

kevinmcnasty

Post by kevinmcnasty »

Sorry Jeff. I got it figured out now. Teevee's "EmptyDisk.hfe" file wouldn't work which I guess I should've known. To make matters worse, on these Akai 3200xls, the ribbon cable needs to be twisted so that pin 1 on the gotek/floppy drive needs to connect to pin 34 on the Akai. The old 3200 was gettin pretty close to winding up in a dumpster :lol:

kevinmcnasty

Post by kevinmcnasty »

To use a Gotek floppy emulator in an Akai S3200xl: 1) Flash the Gotek with the HXC 2001 firmware 2) Make sure Pin 1 on the floppy emulator is connected to pin 34 on the sampler by putting a single twist in a normal flat 34 pin ribbon cable 3) Set the jumper on the Gotek to "S0" 4) Unzip the attached folder "S3200XL.zip" folder in your USB stick. 5) Insert the USB stick into the Gotek 6) Enjoy
Attachments
S3200XL.zip
(210.56 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

CAdair

Post by CAdair »

Jeff wrote:

Use the S950 images :
Thanks,
I formatted the USB stick (Kingston 16GB) to Fat32 and dumped the s950 files onto it.
There are 32 files (DISKA0000.HFE to DISKA00030.HFE plus a HXCSDFE.CFG file)
The drive is connected with the blue wire on the SCSI going from pin 34 side on the akai to pin 1 side on the drive, the jumper is on "SO", and powering up fine. The green light is constantly lit. Red is off.
S1100 says "trying other density..." then "UNREADABLE FORMAT ! or unformatted ?"

when I try to format it it says "DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED !"

I tried the S3200 files, same thing.

Have I made a mistake? :!: :?: :shock: :?

CAdair

Post by CAdair »

after a couple more hrs research, asking a friend, and speaking to Forat here in LA, it looks like the way to go is this: http://www.artmix.com/CF_SCSI_RaizinMonster.html

scsi to cf
its faster and more stable

ill most likely be returning the gotek.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CAdair wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:07 am
Jeff wrote:

Use the S950 images :
Thanks,
I formatted the USB stick (Kingston 16GB) to Fat32 and dumped the s950 files onto it.
There are 32 files (DISKA0000.HFE to DISKA00030.HFE plus a HXCSDFE.CFG file)
The drive is connected with the blue wire on the SCSI going from pin 34 side on the akai to pin 1 side on the drive, the jumper is on "SO", and powering up fine. The green light is constantly lit. Red is off.
S1100 says "trying other density..." then "UNREADABLE FORMAT ! or unformatted ?"

when I try to format it it says "DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED !"

I tried the S3200 files, same thing.

Have I made a mistake? :!: :?: :shock: :?
Yes : You have not connected the floppy ribbon in the right way.
Avoid to do this with the scsi or you will burn the whole machine :wink:.
CAdair wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:07 am
The drive is connected with the blue wire on the SCSI going from pin 34 side on the akai to pin 1 side on the drive, the jumper is on "SO", and powering up fine.
I really hope that you don't have connected the drive to the scsi interface... a floppy drive (emulator or not) must be connected to the floppy port.