I'm older than this S950 - can't quite get my head around...

HxC Floppy Emulator Akai Keyboards/Samplers support
simonm

I'm older than this S950 - can't quite get my head around...

Post by simonm »

Hi All,

Ive picked up an S950 with an HxC emulator conversion. Spent the evening learning to use the drive, managed to format an SD on my MAC, and copy the disk images. Sampled and saved to the SD card... the bit I can't now get my head around is how can I read that SD card back in my mac for any sort of sample conversion / editing ?

I have the emulator software running, but I'm at a complete loss as to which format to export the disk as to get to the sample data. I have chicken Systems translator, but can't quite get to that stage.
Any pointers and help much appreciated.

Simon.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: I'm older than this S950 - can't quite get my head aroun

Post by Jeff »

Which kind of file can use chicken Systems translator ?

simonm

Post by simonm »

Pretty much any sampler file, waves etc, it will read Akai proprietary disks, e.g. I read SD cards from my S1100 in it. But how do I get the Akai file off the SD Disk image ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

simonm wrote:Pretty much any sampler file, waves etc, it will read Akai proprietary disks, e.g. I read SD cards from my S1100 in it. But how do I get the Akai file off the SD Disk image ?
if this software can support disk images, something can be done.

i believe that this one can support floppy disk image : http://www.emxp.net/

simonm

Post by simonm »

thanks Jeff, I'll take a look and experiment.

HB3

Post by HB3 »

I'm in the exact situation. I have the HxC floppy emulator installed properly in my Akai S950. I'd like to move samples from my Mac to SD card using Chicken Systems Translator.

When I format the SD card using Chicken Systems Translator the HxC floppy emulator doesn't recognize it because the card is missing the HXCSDFE.CFG file. When I create a disk image using Translator and place the disk image on the SD card the floppy emulator doesn't recognize the image file. It looks like HxC only reads files with HFE extensions.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this process work?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

HB3 wrote:I'm in the exact situation. I have the HxC floppy emulator installed properly in my Akai S950. I'd like to move samples from my Mac to SD card using Chicken Systems Translator.

When I format the SD card using Chicken Systems Translator the HxC floppy emulator doesn't recognize it because the card is missing the HXCSDFE.CFG file. When I create a disk image using Translator and place the disk image on the SD card the floppy emulator doesn't recognize the image file. It looks like HxC only reads files with HFE extensions.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this process work?
Actually it doesn't. Please contact Chicken Systems Translator support and ask them to support HFE file image import/export or at least add any other floppy file image support. Without this, Chicken Systems Translator is completely useless.

HB3

Post by HB3 »

Jeff wrote:Actually it doesn't. Please contact Chicken Systems Translator support and ask them to support HFE file image import/export or at least add any other floppy file image support. Without this, Chicken Systems Translator is completely useless.
What information should I give Chicken Systems? Are there details about the HFE file image online? Let me know and I'll pass that information along.

How are other Akai users moving samples from Mac computers to the HxC floppy drive emulator successfully? My goal is to get samples off my Mac and onto the Akai using HxC and SD cards.

HB3

Post by HB3 »

The Chicken Systems software can create S1000 floppy disk images. (The Akai S950 can ready S1000 disks.) I created a few disk images but whenever I try to do a batch conversion in the HxC SD Floppy Drive Emulator software it crashes. I'm going to attach two .img files - one with samples and another that is blank. Could someone test these images and see if they work?
Attachments
Akai-images.zip
(152.34 KiB) Downloaded 380 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

HB3 wrote:The Chicken Systems software can create S1000 floppy disk images. (The Akai S950 can ready S1000 disks.) I created a few disk images but whenever I try to do a batch conversion in the HxC SD Floppy Drive Emulator software it crashes. I'm going to attach two .img files - one with samples and another that is blank. Could someone test these images and see if they work?
Use the "Load Raw Image" function and select the "Predefined Disk Layout" "Akai S950 3"5 HD Floppy". Then Load RAW file. you can also use the raw loader from the batch converter.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

btw i don't understand why your images size is 2MB. This should be 1.6MB for the S950/S1000...
Look like there is something wrong...

HB3

Post by HB3 »

That disk image size doesn't make sense does it.

I purchased some Akai disk images online and I was able to get EMXP to convert the images to HFE files that are readable in the HxC drive.

When I try to convert them using the HxC software a file called "Raw Image" is created with no extension. Is that normal behavior?

HB3

Post by HB3 »

I tried loading one of the "Raw Image" files the HxC software generated (after adding the .FHE extension) and tried loading the file in the Akai S950. The Akai didn't like it... I got the "OOPS! Bad data from disk...." message.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

HB3 wrote:I tried loading one of the "Raw Image" files the HxC software generated (after adding the .FHE extension) and tried loading the file in the Akai S950. The Akai didn't like it... I got the "OOPS! Bad data from disk...." message.
Are you talking about the 1.6MB or 2MB files ?

HB3

Post by HB3 »

The 1.6 mb files. EMXP could convert the to working FHE files but I couldn't get the HxC software to work.