Ensoniq SD-1 & Rev F 3.5"

HxC Floppy Emulator Ensoniq Keyboards/Samplers support
Ensoniq_SD1

Ensoniq SD-1 & Rev F 3.5"

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

I'm having trouble getting my new drive to work with my Ensoniq SD-1.

My firmware is 1.8.2.40 on the Rev-F 3.5" drive.

The only switch settings I get some success with is 7 & 8 "ON" (ID2B & ID3B), without those I always get "Bad Device ID" from my keyboard when I try to load a disk. I've tried so many other combinations I can't remember them.

I've tried changing the drive from A to B, and loading a disk image for both A & B.

The display shows "RB", but then the keyboard gives the errror "Drive not ready".

At the moment, even with those 2 switches ON (ID2B & ID3B), the keyboard is telling me "Bad Device ID". So I don't know what is wrong, or what changed.

I am using 2 images I created using OmniFlop and then converted to HFE, but I had to choose RAW image and I'm not sure of the correct settings. I think its supposed to be 80 tracks, 10 sectors per track, 512 bytes, but I am not sure of Bitrate or RPM.

Does anyone know the correct RAW settings to load the images from OmniFlop?

I believe the original drive is a Shugart, but I just found a label that says "SONY MP-F63W-00D", so I don't know if this is a compatible replacement for the Shugart. There are no jumpers.

UPDATE: Jean-François said I needed to set ID2A & ID3A, which I already tried since those 2 correspond to the same ID for Drive A, but I still get "BAD DEVICE ID".

Like I mentioned already, the only switches that have SOME success are ID2B & ID3B.

Is there anyone here with an Ensoniq SD-1 that can help? or anyone else?

Thanks in advance!

-- Ryan

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Ensoniq SD-1 & Rev F 3.5"

Post by Jeff »

Ensoniq_SD1 wrote: UPDATE: Jean-François said I needed to set ID2A & ID3A, which I already tried since those 2 correspond to the same ID for Drive A, but I still get "BAD DEVICE ID".
Ok so this is now working, but the disk image used are not for the SD1.
Which images are you using ?

Ensoniq_SD1

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

Salut Jeff,

Thanks for you reply. I'm sorry you misunderstood, the switch setting suggested by Jean-François did not work, I am still getting bad device ID. I will have more time in a few hours to try again.

The images were made from floppies using OmniFlop, then loaded into HxC as raw images and then exported to HFE.

I do have a couple of EDV images I can try once I can get the DEVICE ID and DRIVE NOT READY errors fixed.

I'm happy to hear any other suggestions you have. If I make any progress I'll post what I discover.

Merci

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ensoniq_SD1 wrote:Salut Jeff,

Thanks for you reply. I'm sorry you misunderstood, the switch setting suggested by Jean-François did not work, I am still getting bad device ID. I will have more time in a few hours to try again.
No : the "bad device ID" means that the ensoniq is able to read the disk, but the device ID of the disk is not compatible with this model of ensoniq. So this is the right switch setting.

But i think that there is something wrong during the file conversion.
Ensoniq_SD1 wrote: The images were made from floppies using OmniFlop, then loaded into HxC as raw images and then exported to HFE.

I do have a couple of EDV images I can try once I can get the DEVICE ID and DRIVE NOT READY errors fixed.

I'm happy to hear any other suggestions you have. If I make any progress I'll post what I discover.

Merci
Can you share your HFE & raw files ?

Ensoniq_SD1

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

Jeff wrote:Can you share your HFE & raw files ?
Yes, but first an update.

I had some old EDV images I made a long time ago from some of my floppies. I tried those with the switch settings that Jean-François suggested and everything works. :D

The problem is with the OmniFlop images. It correctly detects the correct floppy format as Ensonic SD-1 800kb, but when it creates the image file it is for 720k.

I tried to read the floppies with my copy of Ensoniq Disk Manager, but it is not compatible with the floppy drive or controller and can't read the disks to create an image.

So unless there is some magic to make OmniFlop create the images correctly, I need to find an old PC somewhere to convert my other floppies. You might think this would be easy, but here in the USA (California), every weekend they are collecting old equipment to recycle and old stuff is disappearing quickly. They don't allow people to come and take stuff the other people bring them.

So if someone has any ideas about OmniFlop, please tell me, otherwise I think my problems with the HxC floppy emulator are solved.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ensoniq_SD1 wrote: So unless there is some magic to make OmniFlop create the images correctly...
Why you don't use the HxC software to do this job directly ?

Ensoniq_SD1

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

Jeff wrote:
Ensoniq_SD1 wrote: So unless there is some magic to make OmniFlop create the images correctly...
Why you don't use the HxC software to do this job directly ?
:oops: That's a good question. I didn't realize this was possible. Is this something you do from the GUI, or the command line?

Will it be a problem if the OmniFlop drivers are installed, or should I uninstall them?

Ensoniq_SD1

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

Ok, I think I answered my own questions. Giving it a try!

Merci beaucoup!

Ensoniq_SD1

Post by Ensoniq_SD1 »

Jeff,

You are awesome :D

The disk dump worked great on one of my floppies, now I'll try the others.

Thanks for your patience. I know difficult it can be answering the same stupid questions over and over in forums.

Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi Ryan,

I just got one of these and will be trying to get it set up soon as possible.

Can I trouble you for a little info regarding the correct settings of the switches.

Cheers.