CPC 464 + DDI-2 (zaxon) + HxC (lotharek) - not working

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amstrad CPC support
string

CPC 464 + DDI-2 (zaxon) + HxC (lotharek) - not working

Post by string »

Hello

Problem is NOT the same as explained here: http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1451

After typing CAT I have "disc missing" info. I assume something is wrong with HxC, but HxC works on different computers! (like ST, Amiga, CPC 6128). So it looks like it:

1. HxC connected to CPC6128 as A (external cable like this http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/thumb/d/da/F ... _Cable.png) works like a charm
2. DDI-2 with 3,5" Floppy drive connected to CPC464 works perfetly - it loads files, and CAT work.

So each equipment works (HxC, DDI-2, 464) separately. But when I connect them all togehter I have "disc missing" info after typing CAT.
I have tried different cables, setting as A and B, different SD cards and problem still remains. HxC has newest update. Please help.

string

Re: CPC 464 + DDI-2 (zaxon) + HxC (lotharek) - not working

Post by string »

One thing I have checked, this configuration: CPC464 + DDI-2 + HxC USB (instead of HxC slim in case) works with no problem, but it works only with reverse 34pin floppy cable. Which is strange becasue it normally should work with cable without reverse. Any ideas?

string

Post by string »

After more tests it seems that I have found problem. Cannot check on DDI now though...
HxC was acting strange:

1. It was working with one of my CPC's. I have found that it is beacouse pin 34 was conected to ground inside CPC.
2. Was NOT working with other CPC, only worked when I made connection between pin 34 and ground manually.
3. Was working with Amiga 600 on standard floppy cable, but sometimes stopped during loading (like Prince Of Persia). After making connection between pin 34 and ground, all was loaded properly.

So I have thought that READY signal is the problem and is somehow missing. What I did was find scheme and info that READY signal is going through logic integrated circuit named 74LS38. I have change it on SN3438.

Now it works with all configurations (1-3) mentioned above. HxC is working a little strange though, it works a little slower then before and has more deeper head-sound then before.

Can anybody explain me those two things:

1. Why it works slower?
2. Why connection pin 34 to ground made HxC work propperly and was it save to use?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Did you get the emulator from Lotharek ?

string

Post by string »

Jeff wrote:Did you get the emulator from Lotharek ?
Yes, from lotharek, and he asked me if I could ask directly you Jeff, if you have any ideas about this problem.

Oh, and zaxon have just checked his DDI-2 and it works fine, so it must be HxC.

string

Post by string »

One thing more I have noticed. Maybe it is not involved with the same problem but... HxC sometimes "forget" files and load in all 15 slots the same file that was run last time. It does not happen often though.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Are you sure that your +5V power supply is working good ?

string

Post by string »

I hope so. I have 5VDC 2A that powers HxC and CPC together. HxC is always on, even if I turn computer off. Ealier I have used ATX PSU but using it was not so comfortable. Oh, this thing was heavy and took some place on table.