Problems running HxC with new DDI-1 clone and a CPC 464

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amstrad CPC support
marioweezer

Problems running HxC with new DDI-1 clone and a CPC 464

Post by marioweezer »

Hi everyone.

So sorry to have to ask but I'm having real problems getting my HxC Rev C (cased, black version) to run with the new DDI-1 clone on an Amstrad CPC 464. I'll go through the set up in order:

1. The 2GB SD card is formatted as FAT32 - it has a HXCSDFE.CFG file on there and I've tried it with / without an AUTOBOOT file. The roms have been converted from .DSK to .HFE.

2. I have this power splitter which I bought from eBay - one end goes into the CPC 464 keyboard and the other into the HxC:

3. I have a 5V power supply which came as part of this set - http://www.coolnovelties.co.uk/stores/e ... n-kit.html - this goes into the adapter part of the power splitter and then into the mains. (I've also tried using my original Amstrad MP-1 Module to see if that made a difference).

4. The DDI-1 clone goes directly into the 'Floppy Disc' slot in the Amstrad CPC keyboard. I have a ribbon cable that was purchased from 'urban retro' on eBay. He has the same equipment as me (including the new DDI-1 clone) and he made the ribbon cable for me after consulting with the maker of the clone. This goes from the DDI-1 clone to the HxC.

5. The jumper position was provided to me by the ribbon cable seller on eBay and he tested it on exactly the same equipment as me. I've tried numerous other positions with no luck:

Once powered up, everything seems to be fine. The DDI-1 clone powers up, the HxC boots up and I can select files, etc. The CPC 464 seems to know a disk drive is connected as it comes up with the Parados message and won't respond to any tape commands. However, once I select a file on the HxC, all three lights permanently stay on (until I eject it by pressing the middle button). The three lights are (from top to bottom) green, red and red.

If I type 'cat' into the CPC 464 it just hangs - absolutely nothing happens. I haven't heard the motor on the HxC once and it just doesn't load anything. The DDI-1 clone is in the Drive A position (left hand side button is positioned to the left so it's Drive A) and the HxC is in Drive A as I set it using the LCD screen.

I've tried the ribbon cable both ways but still the CPC just hangs at the 'cat' command.

I'm at a complete loss with this as I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll admit, I am very much new to this but I think I've followed all the instructions I've read, and been given by the eBay seller of the ribbon cable / power splitter. I've messaged him to see if he can help but he hasn't come back to me just yet.

Can anyone help? Really sorry if I'm doing something obviously wrong but I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. I've included a few pictures of my setup below that might help.

Thank you so much,

Rob.

marioweezer

Re: Problems running HxC with new DDI-1 clone and a CPC 464

Post by marioweezer »

Managed to get this working now. If anyone else has the same problem you need to remove one of the 'bumps' (don't know the technical name!) at the end of the ribbon cable. You then invert the cable so the red line is on the left when it goes into the HxC.

This is the 'bump' in the middle:

And this is how it should look after it's done (picture courtesy of Piotr)

Only slight problem I'm having now is getting the HxC Floppy Emulator Manager V3 working. Every time it tries to boot I get a: 'Syntax error in 10' message. Anyone know what this means?