Issues extracting a DSK image from an HFE image file

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amstrad CPC support
Maniac

Issues extracting a DSK image from an HFE image file

Post by Maniac »

I need to extract a DSK image from an HXC image of a ROMDOS D20 format disk.

On my 6128+ it works as expected and reads both sides transparently. When I try and load the HXC image using the Windows tool it says it only has 1 side so I can't get to all of the content on the disk.

If I create a new DSK file in the WinApe Emulator in the same format the tool correctly detects 80 tracks and both sides.

Any ideas as to how I can export this to a DSK image or what I can change config wise in the Windows tool so that it sees both sides?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Issues extracting a DSK image from an HFE image file

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote:I need to extract a DSK image from an HXC image of a ROMDOS D20 format disk.

On my 6128+ it works as expected and reads both sides transparently. When I try and load the HXC image using the Windows tool it says it only has 1 side so I can't get to all of the content on the disk.

If I create a new DSK file in the WinApe Emulator in the same format the tool correctly detects 80 tracks and both sides.

Any ideas as to how I can export this to a DSK image or what I can change config wise in the Windows tool so that it sees both sides?
Please share these HFE & DSK.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Jeff wrote: Please share these HFE & DSK.
Happy to do so but the ZIP file containing both images I need to provide you is 741 KB and the forum won't allow me to upload a file that big. Can I email it to you please?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote:
Jeff wrote: Please share these HFE & DSK.
Happy to do so but the ZIP file containing both images I need to provide you is 741 KB and the forum won't allow me to upload a file that big. Can I email it to you please?
yes please.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Images emailed as request to email address referred to on https://hxc2001.com/contactus/

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote:Images emailed as request to email address referred to on https://hxc2001.com/contactus/
try the image in your email.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the image tomorrow.

The image was created by formatting the disk on a real CPC using Parados and none of these images when created this way, or copied from a real disk in this format using XEXOR on the CPC, are correctly detected as 2 sided disks even though they are and the HxC itself detects them just fine. I have about 30 or so disks in this format that I'd like to convert to DSK to use with WinApe and I can't currently do so due to this issue.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote:Thanks for the reply, I'll try the image tomorrow.

The image was created by formatting the disk on a real CPC using Parados and none of these images when created this way, or copied from a real disk in this format using XEXOR on the CPC, are correctly detected as 2 sided disks even though they are and the HxC itself detects them just fine. I have about 30 or so disks in this format that I'd like to convert to DSK to use with WinApe and I can't currently do so due to this issue.
yes but : how this hfe was created?

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

I made a blank disk template image based on a blank normal format DSK image I think but this was some time ago. I then formatted the HFE based disk on my CPC using Parados to the format I wanted.

Is the above the wrong way to do this? Should I create the HFE based on a DSK like I provided you in the zip file?

How can I modify the HFE images I have so that the Windows tool sees both sides correctly please?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote:I made a blank disk template image based on a blank normal format DSK image I think but this was some time ago. I then formatted the HFE based disk on my CPC using Parados to the format I wanted.
That's the issue : you have created the HFE with an source file with only one side (the DSK).
Maniac wrote: Is the above the wrong way to do this? Should I create the HFE based on a DSK like I provided you in the zip file?
Yes,
Or create a raw blank image with 2 sides, select the cpc interface mode, then export it and format it on the CPC.
Maniac wrote: How can I modify the HFE images I have so that the Windows tool sees both sides correctly please?
Have a look to the HFE file specification on the website :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... format.pdf
With an hexadecimal editor this should not be too hard.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Is there no way you could add an advanced export option or something similar that allows a user to change the number of sides if they've done the same thing as me please? I'm sure I can't be the only person to have done this.

One question follow on from this is how does the HXC device know how to handle it 'correctly' and yet the utility doesn't please?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maniac wrote: One question follow on from this is how does the HXC device know how to handle it 'correctly' and yet the utility doesn't please?
The device >DOESN'T< handle it correctly, that's the point, and this is explained into the above documentation :

"unsigned char number_of_side; // Number of valid side (Not used by the emulator) "

The software take care of this field.
Maniac wrote: Is there no way you could add an advanced export option or something similar that allows a user to change the number of sides if they've done the same thing as me please? I'm sure I can't be the only person to have done this
But why ? You have all these options into the raw loader and you create any format you want. Why you need another extra option(s) ?

If you need a two sided disk, then just create a two sided HFE. This cannot be more easier than this.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Apologies I should have read the PDF before posting and I didn't!
Jeff wrote:
Maniac wrote: Is there no way you could add an advanced export option or something similar that allows a user to change the number of sides if they've done the same thing as me please? I'm sure I can't be the only person to have done this
But why ? You have all these options into the raw loader and you create any format you want. Why you need another extra option(s)?
So can I load these HFE images and edit the parameters? Sorry if this is documented but I couldn't work out or find out how to do this hence the forum posting. I very much appreciate your patience and time dealing with this.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Ok, time for me to apologise for being an idiot. After your suggestion of using load loader I've been able to do what I required. I'm so sorry for wasting your time.

Hint to self; RTFM! :wink: :D