Tandy 1000TX with HxC

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
zmame

Tandy 1000TX with HxC

Post by zmame »

Tried hooking up the HxC to a Tandy 1000TX with it hooked up the drive status light stays lit (like it's hooked up backwards). So I tried flipping the ribbon around and the computer won't turn on. Have the jumper set to standard PC A:\ setting... Comfirmed it works on a 486 computer, amiga 500 and TRS-80.

Is it just incompatible or any idea's??.. I have a older Tandy SX I might try later and also have a PC jr I haven't tested yet.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Tandy 1000TX with HxC

Post by Jeff »

zmame wrote:Tried hooking up the HxC to a Tandy 1000TX with it hooked up the drive status light stays lit (like it's hooked up backwards). So I tried flipping the ribbon around and the computer won't turn on. Have the jumper set to standard PC A:\ setting... Comfirmed it works on a 486 computer, amiga 500 and TRS-80.

Is it just incompatible or any idea's??.. I have a older Tandy SX I might try later and also have a PC jr I haven't tested yet.
Do you have the floppy pinout of this computer ?

EDIT :

Found it. It seems that tandy have put +12V & +5V power supply lines on the floppy cable.

http://vintage-blog.peacon.co.uk/downlo ... -vol-1.pdf
TANDY1000TX.gif
TANDY1000TX.gif (18.42 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
You need to cut wires 3,5,7,9,11,29,31 and 33 on the floppy cable before pluging the HxC (or any standard floppy disk drive).
The "computer don't start" is probably the right cable way, but you need to cut these lines to avoid shortcut...

Please note that you have probably damaged some lines of the HxC with the +12V voltage...
Hopefully you have just to change the 74LS38 chip...

So be careful with this computer ! It is dangerous ;)

zmame

Re: Tandy 1000TX with HxC

Post by zmame »

Jeff wrote:
zmame wrote:Tried hooking up the HxC to a Tandy 1000TX with it hooked up the drive status light stays lit (like it's hooked up backwards). So I tried flipping the ribbon around and the computer won't turn on. Have the jumper set to standard PC A:\ setting... Comfirmed it works on a 486 computer, amiga 500 and TRS-80.

Do you have the floppy pinout of this computer ?

EDIT :

Found it. It seems that tandy have put +12V & +5V power supply lines on the floppy cable.

http://vintage-blog.peacon.co.uk/downlo ... -vol-1.pdf
TANDY1000TX.gif
You need to cut wires 3,5,7,9,11,29,31 and 33 on the floppy cable before pluging the HxC (or any standard floppy disk drive).
The "computer don't start" is probably the right cable way, but you need to cut these lines to avoid shortcut...

Please note that you have probably damaged some lines of the HxC with the +12V voltage...
Hopefully you have just to change the 74LS38 chip...

So be careful with this computer ! It is dangerous ;)

Lucky I only tried it once.. I will have to make my own cable then I guess.. The HxC is ok, just tried it on Amiga 500 , TRS-80 and PC works good.

I have piles of old computers so I will be sure to post the results of anything that is not on your list.

im going to try epson QX-10 next i think ill find the pin outs first this time.

Thanks for your help,
Nick S