NEC MultiSpeed

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
eguy6

NEC MultiSpeed

Post by eguy6 »

Hello! I am quite new to the vintage PC-compatible world and I have been trying to get a Gotek emulator working with HxC to replace one of the floppy drives. I thought I might have messed it up on my main machine (an EL version), either by reversing the floppy connector or not having it on when getting the EXCHANGE.BIN. I have just tried it again on my spare parts machine (not EL) and the whole thing went smoothly, including putting the emulator in indexed mode and having an image ready to read. However, I get a "Disk Bad 607k" and "Error. Press F1 key to continue" and then "Boot disk failure. Type key to retry" even though there is an image (.HFE) on the USB that I know boots when it is written to a floppy. For reference, the MultiSpeed and MultiSpeed EL have two 720k drives and have NEC V30 8086 clone processors. I have no idea if it is at all similar to the NEC PC88/98 lines and there is very little record of anything beyond the existence of these laptops. Is there anything off the bat that seems off about my attempts? Worst comes to worst, I have the working machine with two good 720k drives, plenty of floppies, and a Mac Classic on its way that I can try the Gotek on.