500kb/s write support

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
DFL

500kb/s write support

Post by DFL »

Hey Jeff,

I tested the new firmware in my PC. The 1.44 disk is 500kb/s, right? Works very well for writing, but you said is an alpha version (18/04).

Is this feature still alpha? What's the problem?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: 500kb/s write support

Post by Jeff »

DFL wrote:Hey Jeff,

I tested the new firmware in my PC. The 1.44 disk is 500kb/s, right? Works very well for writing, but you said is an alpha version (18/04).

Is this feature still alpha? What's the problem?
Yes there are a problem: The write process to the sdcard is too slow. Under Ms dos, this may generate write error during a write of a full track (18 sectors) (example: copy of "a big" file).

This is depending of the SDCard size and organisation (flash page size and size of internal cache memory). with some sdcard this could works, with others not.(this depend of the write timing).

Writing a single sector (512 bytes) could be very long (~100ms) because the SDCard internally rewrite a full page of flash (128KB,256KB,etc ....).
So writing 18 singles sectors (number of sector of a single track of a HD disk) could be too long and overtake the MSDOS timeout.

The best way to correct this is to store a full track in the PIC, and write back it to the sdcard (in multisectors write mode) once the floppy write is ended. Unfortunately the PIC has no enough ram, we need to add an external sram chip like this one:
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... e=en539039

DFL

Post by DFL »

Hey Jeff, tkx for explain...

How about Windows? All my tests was Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Works like a charm...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DFL wrote:Hey Jeff, tkx for explain...

How about Windows? All my tests was Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Works like a charm...
i have never tested the 500kbits/s write mode under windows, but maybe that the timeout is longer than under msdos.