Installing HxC Rev F on Commodore PC 20 III

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
Kaffeetasse

Installing HxC Rev F on Commodore PC 20 III

Post by Kaffeetasse »

Hi,

since 2 Days I'm trying to install the HxC in my PC20. First time I tryed do use it as drive B, keeping the original floppy drive in place. Just didn't work. BIOS, shame on you.
Next try was to use it allone. Worked well.
After this I went back, experimenting with the jumper settings to get the original fdd in the system, too. Didn't work.
Later I decidet to remove the original fdd because I didn't expect no propper results any more.
But now, with only the HxC in place, the PC keeps on telling me "Drive A : Bad \n Press F1 to continue" while booting. After the systems up a A: - call is responded with positioning error. No matter what jumpers are set.
The orig fdd works still properly, so the controller seems to work propperly.

Did I shred the HxC while playing with the jumper settings?

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Installing HxC Rev F on Commodore PC 20 III

Post by Jeff »

I suppose that you don't use the right jumper setting and/or interface mode setting.

Kaffeetasse

Post by Kaffeetasse »

Hi Jeff,

you are right, in a way. Commodore wrote in the PC 10 / 20 manual that there is only one Jumper to be set if you are using the PC 10 setup (two fdd) ore the PC 20 setup (one fdd and one hdd on the board's controller). After reading twice I think the only possibility to drive two fdds and one hdd is to use a XT-Bus-driven IDE-controller. But thats a huge efford.

Im going to test the HxC on my AT-PC within the next few days. But I think I've damaged it while 'playing the piano'.

bjt

Post by bjt »

Even if the bios thinks there's only one floppy drive, you can try using DRIVER.SYS or DRIVPARM to declare a second floppy to DOS.

Kaffeetasse

Post by Kaffeetasse »

I've got it. Bought myself a new HxC. Didn't work on first time. Just tried a few jumpersettings again.
The Comodore PC is using the AMIGA floppy controller, I think. Any way ... the Amiga jumper setting works fine.
On both HcX ... .
I hope my second HcX will become useful in future.