Format not working on DOS

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
tek_fd

Format not working on DOS

Post by tek_fd »

Hello

according to the documentation the HxC supports "low level format". When I use the pre-existing DOS images from your download, I can access all files and write/read them with my DOS computer and on my PC. I'm using MS-DOS 6.22.

However I'm not able to format.
Whenever I type "format A:" I always get
Checking existing disk format.
Existing format differs from that specified.
The disk cannot be unformatted.
Proceed with Format (Y/N)?
When I press y something happens (the buzzers buzzes) and then this comes:
Formatting 360K
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.
Format terminated.
When I try to read the image with the DOS File Browser it says "Null sized DOS image! Invalid disk!".

How can I format a HxC file image with the DOS format command? Is this even possible?

Thank you!

tek_fd

Re: Format not working on DOS

Post by tek_fd »

Ok, I have now more insight. Please help.

It seems like I can only use DD floppy disks with 360k capacity. With the software I create a raw image "Standard 3"5 DOS DD floppy". When I try to format this disk image with DOS 6.22 I can only format it to 360k.
It does not work if I select "Standard 3"5 DOS HD floppy" or "Standard 3"5 DOS ED floppy". When I try "format A: /F:1440" DOS says "Parameters not compatible".
However: If i try a pre-existing image (for example the DOS6.22 hfe image I found in this forum) I can access the data, but I'm not able to format it.

tek_fd

Post by tek_fd »

Ok another question. I now created a 1.44mb floppy image (hfe format) with the VFD Control Panel. This works fine with the DOS machine but only for reading from the floppy!
When I try to copy larger files onto the floppy, the "copy" command will print a number of "Sector not found" errors during copy operation. So I just have to hit "I" (Ignore) several times and after some error messages it prints that the file has been copied. When I inspect the file on the hard drive and on the floppy with the fc command, they are NOT the same.

In the documentation of the 8271 FDC controller I found that the "sector not found" error is somehow determined by the index input of the controller. So maybe there is a problem with my jumpers?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Regarding the "Sector not found on drive A" try a faster sdcard. A class 10 one is recommended.

For the other point, please check your bios setting. it looks like you have a 5"1/4 drive setting. And what about the emulator switch setting ?
for PC it should be set to ID1-A or ID2-A.
Other point : you can't change the image density : an DD image (~2MB hfe file) can't be formatted in HD and an HD image (~4MB hfe file) can't be formatted in DD.