Help! Having trouble with simply saving a disk...

HxC Floppy Emulator on IBM PC and compatible support
vjkdigital

Help! Having trouble with simply saving a disk...

Post by vjkdigital »

New to the forum, had a look for my answer both here and in the manual with no luck. I build computers as part of my job, but this has me stumped..

We have installed the Lotharek SD version in a Zero88 Mambo Frog lighting desk. I first found that the front metal face is too high, and wont fit in the desk properly without modification.. Thats a minor fault.
My main issue is that these desks only allow you to save to 1.44 floppies, and these disks are dying quite fast, and they are getting very hard to buy new disks. Thus we brought the Floppy emulator.

After reading through the manual I cannot find a simple step by step instruction on using the drive after installation. I've left the drive dip switches at default (Id0) as the manual shows instructions for jumper settings, not for any dip switches. The desk uses a standard 1.44 floppy drive, as configured for a PC, so i figure all my setup will treat the emulator as a PC based floppy drive.

I'd rather not use a PC at all, just want to format a SD card in FAT32, insert it into the emulator, and save my show. As far as i can tell it not this simple.
I can't understand why the emulator cannot add the config file to the SD card all by its self.

After putting the card through my laptop, and adding the config file, I still for the life of me cannot save a show, I cannot find how to create a disk on the SD card thats empty so I can save a show to the SD card. If i press enter, i get bad file. I don't have any images of a floppy on my PC to convert to a disk to put on the card as the information is only saved on the lighting desk. The only way to extract the data is via floppy disk.

I tried creating a disk, then "injecting" it hoping that would create an empty disk, also with no luck.

Can someone please give me a step by step instruction guide on what settings to change, if any, and how to format a SD card, crate a "Blank" disk on it, and how to make the desk just think theres a blank floppy in its new drive so i can save a show to SD card.

Major thanks in advance

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Help! Having trouble with simply saving a disk...

Post by Jeff »

vjkdigital wrote: Can someone please give me a step by step instruction guide on what settings to change, if any, and how to format a SD card, crate a "Blank" disk on it, and how to make the desk just think theres a blank floppy in its new drive so i can save a show to SD card.

Major thanks in advance
Easy :

1 - Download this archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

2 - Format your sdcard in FAT32.

3 - Unpack/unzip SDHxCFE_PC_1.44MB.zip on the sdcard (this file is in QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages.zip)

After this the sdcard is ready to be used in the hxc floppy emulator. there will have 100 empty pc/ms dos 1.44MB floppies.

About the jumper : The names wasn't changed between jumper and switch.
In your case possible settings are : ID0-A or ID2-A.

vjkdigital

Re: Help! Having trouble with simply saving a disk...

Post by vjkdigital »

Awesome, thanks will give it a shot. =)