MCS Hades WD37065C Floppy Controller - HxC configuration?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
SilverAg

MCS Hades WD37065C Floppy Controller - HxC configuration?

Post by SilverAg »

I intend to use the HxC2001 Rev F in the Atari TOS compatible Medusa Computer Systems Hades 060. It contains a WD37065C floppy disk controller which is only able to read PC (not extended Atari) formatted disks.

Can anyone confirm for me if the HxC should be configured as for the PC, rather than as for the Atari ST/Falcon? Is there any likelihood of damage if it is connected in the wrong mode?

Thanks
Anthony

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: MCS Hades WD37065C Floppy Controller - HxC configuration

Post by Jeff »

No risk of damage.
If the Hades use PC type floppy disk drive, just use this mode.

SilverAg

Re: MCS Hades WD37065C Floppy Controller - HxC configuration

Post by SilverAg »

I received the device today and now have it operating correctly in the Hades. I used a 1.44MB format disk image.

Even though there is the unusual disk controller that does not recognise extended format TOS disks, the jumpers are configured as for the Atari ST, not PC Compatible.

The HxC firmware interface worked when configured as follows:

Interface CFG : ATARIST_HD
Bit Rate : 500Kbit/s
Step Rate : Single Step

The values read from HXCSDFE.CFG that the utility created did not appear to work, so I had to override with those above. However, this may because I didn't correctly configure HXCSDFE.CFG correctly...

The Hades documentation states that 2.88MB ED disks are supported. Is it possible for the HxC to be enhanced to do this? It would appear to require a 1Mbit/s bit rate. I have not been able to find any PDF documentation for the Hades FDD IC though.

Thanks for the advice.