HxCmount official thread

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
pulkomandy

Re: HxCmount official thread

Post by pulkomandy »

Only 4 bombs.
But, I had problems with some other software that used to work fine before.
I need to do an hardware check before going on for more testing, after all...

pulkomandy

Post by pulkomandy »

Ok, turned out to be an hardware problem on my side. The cable from 14-pin Atari connector to HxC was not as good as it should.
Now it works very nice.

I fear I'll need the multi-image support; because in the current way I'm left with 32MB of data on each SD card :)
What are your plans ? Mount each IMA file as a drive ? Or allow to select one at boot ?

Some other quicknotes :
- On my STe (TOS 1.62), when I run the loader PRG, it goes fine, but when it gets back to the desktop I get an error as drive A doesn't exists anymore; and the "Add drive" menu is grayed out. Changing the resolution does the trick and installs drives ABCDEFGH (I didn't need that much!). Is this a TOS bug ? Should I burn some 2.06 ROMs ?
- I have an STe somewhere which is HD-modded. I'm wondering if that would be of some use with HxCmount. Wouldn't it be nice to get it 2x faster ? But, I fear we'll need some HxC firmware support to use HD mode in direct access ?

megar

Post by megar »

Sorry for the late answer.

When you run the driver, it removes A: and B: floppy access. This is not a bug. This limitation may be removed.

Hd support : The HD support of the current firmware/hardware seems very limited. It would be great to double the transfert rate, but I did not find enough informations about HD support. Furthermore, the HxC in a Atari Falcon has also some serious limitations with HD disk. I would be happy to improve it, but I don't have enough documentation. (I also have a overclocked WD1772 in my STE to support HD disk)

I am not planning any further improvements, i'm sorry. Actually my Falcon died even before I started coding HxCmount, and I though that a friend would be able to re-live it. But it is clearly dead, now.

peaceman

Post by peaceman »

Hey, I got my SD-HxC today and it worked right away. So amazing! Using "Floppy Drive Hotplugging" I was even able to start up my super old Hard Drive, which usually only works with a driver from Floppy since it isn't bootable (true Story, no kidding).

So now I have my 32 MB IMG file with all the data on. Question: Has anyone mounted such Image file under OSX yet successfully?
I only get this:

Code: Select all

mount -t vfat /Users/peaceman/Atari\ ST/IMGBLANK.IMA /Volumes/SD
mount: exec /System/Library/Filesystems/vfat.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_vfat for /Volumes/SD: No such file or directory
Any hint?

megar

Post by megar »

Don't know about OS X, but on linux (and BSD), you have to make an intermediate loop device, so you can use mount on this /dev/loop device and in turn, get access to the filesystem hosted in the file.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_device

Vf4ruler

Post by Vf4ruler »

I'm able to get the disc to load on the hxc, but when I try to load the hard disk image from the program I get an error message saying the image is fragmented. I've tried de fragmenting the sd card from windows and I've tried defragmenting the disc image from winimage, but it doesn't seem to do anything. By the way I've used the included images and my own custom images and neither work with defragmenting. I'm running a ste.

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

@megar

Is this thread- Project still active.

Ray
If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

Methanoid

Post by Methanoid »

I would guess not... Pity. The original website pages suggested some of the limitations might be able to be removed. I guess author lost interest? :(

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

megar wrote:It is a utitily that allow to use the HxC Floppy Emulator as a hard disk. An hard disk image file must sit in the root of the SDcard, and be named "IMG*.IMA". Actually, once loaded, the floppy is replaced by a new partition (C: as example).
I really wish something like this was released for Amiga. I wonder whether someone could port this and adopt for Amiga's standards, even for $...

Methanoid

Post by Methanoid »

Kokos wrote:
megar wrote:It is a utitily that allow to use the HxC Floppy Emulator as a hard disk. An hard disk image file must sit in the root of the SDcard, and be named "IMG*.IMA". Actually, once loaded, the floppy is replaced by a new partition (C: as example).
I really wish something like this was released for Amiga. I wonder whether someone could port this and adopt for Amiga's standards, even for $...
Why would U need it? A CF to IDE adapter is around $3. Then you have a real HDD. Unless you mean for an A500 in which case I suggest you buy an A600 or 1200 ;)

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Thanks for idea, but I already use CF with my a1200 (PCMCIA adapter and primary HDD), anyway it would be good to have SD device for such a purpose, CF-solution has some limitations (max 4 GB). But what I really want to achieve is to manage HxC slots from WB and have a way to mount floppy and hard drive images from there. I don't mean to use it as primary HDD. It would be so lovely..

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This solution is limited to 10KB/s - 20KB/s data rate.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi Jeff, as I understand this is hardware limitation?

Thanks,
K

namachari

Post by namachari »

Does anyone know if there will ever be an update for HxCMount?

P

elluigi

Post by elluigi »

Hello,

I would like to thanks Jeff for his great HxC firmware with Gotek ! It run perfectly :P

I'm trying to use HxCmount, and i would like to know if there is a way to create a > 32 MB image file ?

Thx for your support :D

==========================================

Merci Jeff pour ce fantastique firmware, cela fonctionne tu tonnerre :P

Je suis en train de regader pour utiliser le HxCmount et je souhaiterais savoir s'il existe une solution pour créer des partition > 32 Mo ?

Merci par avance :D