Problem: using HxC_SD copy to real Atari floppy

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
wood_jl

Problem: using HxC_SD copy to real Atari floppy

Post by wood_jl »

I am using the HxC SD emulator with Atari 520STm - the ST without a built-in drive. It is connected to SF354 case and works great most of the time.

Problem when daisy-chaining 2nd drive B, real SF314. When writing/formatting the real drive B SF314, the floppy image in the HxC is overwritten. After file operation, current disk image says "0 bytes in 0 items." Show Info says all zeros. Can reformat disk image from ST desktop but lose contents.

I have downloaded latest 1.3.11.0 HxC software for creating the HXCFDSE.CFG program. In this setting, I have tried with and without "disable disk drive selector" because I have real Drive B and do not want emulated drive B.

I have installed latest HxC firmware 1.1.2.3 and installed on SD card emulator but problem is the same as before with old firmware.

Interesting, I can copy files from real floppy to HxC image ok, but can not write to real floppy or ruin disk image.

Has anybody else tried this? Please help.

Thank you - very much enjoying device in almost all respects!

wood_jl

Same deal with STfm

Post by wood_jl »

I dug out my STfm and tried it, and it is the same deal. I had suspected there was some peculiarity with the SF354/SF314 PC boards in the back of the drive, and however they handle drive select by rerouting drive B to the other daisy chain jack. I freely admit I have VERY LITTLE UNDERSTANDING of this, but merely suspected it.

Well whatever it is, it does the same thing if you plug a real drive B into the floppy port on STfm model.

I can't believe nobody else in the world has run into this issue. Maybe the HxC SD emulator and/or the ST are no where near as popular as I think they are.

robert2098

Post by robert2098 »

Do you daisy-chain the drives?
The external drive swaps the drive select signals on the "out" port. So both drives should be set to drive A. If you have the HxC as last device in the chain and it is set to drive B, then the Atari sees it as drive A thus having two A drives. So make sure the HxC is set to Drive A.

Also if you connect the HxC to the floppy port of an ST with internal drive you need to set it to drive A because the internal drive B select signal is connected to drive A select signal on the floppy port.

Robert

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Same deal with STfm

Post by Jeff »

Ok i just reproduce the bug (SD HxC as A: + USB HxC as B: )
It's clearly a firmware bug. I will correct this.

EDIT: To create a floppy disk image :

>Moving ST programs into disk images - easiest way?

With the HxC Floppy Emulator software :

-> Create a folder on the pc and put your ST files in it.
-> Start the HxC Floppy Emulator software
-> Push the button "Create FS Floppy"
-> Choose "720KB Atari FAT12" or "902KB Atari FAT12" or "4.23MB Atari FAT12"
-> Push the button "Inject directory" and choose your folder containing your ST files.
-> Now push the button export to create the HFE file. (you can change the type file to IMG to create a ST file if you want).

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Same deal with STfm

Post by Jeff »