Gotek with HXC on Atari 502STE really slow

pauljh

Gotek with HXC on Atari 502STE really slow

Post by pauljh »

Hi All,
I have a Gotek with HXC firmware for .ST files on an Atari 520STE, but its super slow to get a directory listing, I assumed too many files in a directory so moved them all to subdirectories, but then just to display the list of 24 sub directories took the Gotek 5 minutes to display?. Is this because I moved the files while on the USB Drive (i.e they are fragmented), should I copy everything off the USB, reformat and copy it all back on, else am I missing something?

Regards

norb

Re: Gotek with HXC on Atari 502STE really slow

Post by norb »

The same situation is with the file .hfe?

retrobits

Post by retrobits »

I have a gotek flashed with the most recent HxC firmware and am using the latest manager software for Atari ST.
Overall, the performance is good when an image is mounted. The device reads data faster than a real disk drive.

However, when I boot to the manager and navigate directories on the USB disk, it takes 10 seconds or more just to read the contents of a directory. I've tried various configurations and all yield basically the same results. I've tried grouping files in subfolders so there are only 5 or 10 files in the directory to read. I've also tried reducing the number of total files on the USB stick. I've tried different USB sticks and formats. FAT seems slightly faster than FAT32, but still it seems very slow for what the machine should be capable of. As a comparison, my 6502 Atari 800 can read directories from SIO2SD device in sub-second speeds. 10 seconds or so is not bad compared to 5 minutes! But I think it still should be able to do better. I'm hoping a future release there a way to speed up this manager software for Atari ST.

I am wondering if people with Lotharek hardware see this issue with Atari ST manager as well or does it just affect gotek?

How fast do other Atari ST users see the manager change directories?
What device hardware do you have and what USB stick/format do you use?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Solution : Use the old version.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... r_1_9b.zip

The new v2.x versions sort the file names and to do this the whole folder list must be loaded, which is a very bad idea with a slow interface...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

pauljh wrote:Hi All,
I have a Gotek with HXC firmware for .ST files on an Atari 520STE, but its super slow to get a directory listing, I assumed too many files in a directory so moved them all to subdirectories, but then just to display the list of 24 sub directories took the Gotek 5 minutes to display?. Is this because I moved the files while on the USB Drive (i.e they are fragmented), should I copy everything off the USB, reformat and copy it all back on, else am I missing something?

Regards
yes this may help.

retrobits

Post by retrobits »

Jeff wrote:Solution : Use the old version.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... r_1_9b.zip

The new v2.x versions sort the file names and to do this the whole folder list must be loaded, which is a very bad idea with a slow interface...
This one performs fantastic! I can enter folders with thousands of files in a second. Thank you so much for the tip.

OK, but wait a minute! The 1.9b version does navigate directories very fast, however when I select an image and reboot, the computer always boots back to the manager. I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I've tried F7 (Select & Reboot), also Ins then F8 "Reboot", also Ins then F10 "Save and Reboot". Always returns to the manager.
Note: I am using a Gotek device with firmware v3.0.6.7a.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

New file manager available for ST and Amiga :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... anager.zip

This should solve all these issues !
:D
stmanager2.JPG
stmanager2.JPG (101.97 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
stmanager1.JPG
stmanager1.JPG (124.18 KiB) Viewed 5113 times