Atari ste- cable question

HxC Floppy Emulator on Atari ST support
iainjh

Atari ste- cable question

Post by iainjh »

Hello

I have a 520ste I'd like to fit a hxc slim into

(I've bought a couple hxc's from lotharek - I've actually had hxc's before but so darn perfect once I've sold on those past machines, here I am buying more!! :) )

Anyway my question is, is it ok to simply unplug the ste's internal floppy drive and plug the hxc into the existing cable, or do I need buy/ make up a cable adaptor?

Does the Atari ste's cable with red wire indicate pin one to connect on the hxc's male pins? If so it appears the ste's standard cable is inverted or needs changing as the cables' key is also wrong to align red to pin one ? The cable is also soldered at the motherboard..

Cheers for advice

IAIN

iainjh

Re: Atari ste- cable question

Post by iainjh »

Hi is anyone please able to help? do i need use the standard cable or modify/remove the notch or some other cable needed?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This may help:
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=138
the original cable into the ST is short.

iainjh

Post by iainjh »

thanks for link

my issue is that while I can fit the hxc slim inside the case, and leave the original 3.5 in place for looks, on boot the hxc is not recognised. I was thinking perhaps the stock cable presents its pins to the hxc upside down /back to front?

or does the cable stay exactly as is and work with the hxc as is?

if so I wonder why mine doesnt respond?

iainjh

Post by iainjh »

answered it. obviously pin 1 is red, so I took the plunge, removed the central lug/ the key from the ste's ribbon cable plug so it would fit into the hxc.

of course then everything worked smoothly, i'm now in the autoboot menu and all's great.

just didnt know for sure I had to cut off the lug else of course it could only go on upside down.

cheers!