Having a problem with a new rev F model

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Dr. Dude

Re: Having a problem with a new rev F model

Post by Dr. Dude »

Wont work.
The funny thing is, that the SD unit actuly makes a real sound as it is a corupt/emty disk

edit:
a simple 3.1 disk on boot wil crash in a check sum error, and wil hold on the Ados screen
When i try a 3.9 boot disk. It wil full out crash, reboot and give a Software error

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dr. Dude wrote:Wont work.
The funny thing is, that the SD unit actuly makes a real sound as it is a corupt/emty disk

edit:
a simple 3.1 disk on boot wil crash in a check sum error, and wil hold on the Ados screen
When i try a 3.9 boot disk. It wil full out crash, reboot and give a Software error
I just sent to you the old 1.6.0.0 version.
For the moment i cannot figure out why the 1.7.XX firmware generate problem on your setup. It works well on Amiga 500/600.
Maybe that there are a cpu speed/cache side effect. Anyway this seems to be an hard-to-find "bug". I will probably need to find the same setup to understand the cause of the issue.

Question : Did you still have the same issue when you disable all accelerator board and/or the memory cache ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Question : what was the original floppy disk drive model ?

Dr. Dude

Post by Dr. Dude »

Jeff wrote:Question : what was the original floppy disk drive model ?
as in what i used to have in my 4000?
I got 2 from amigakit last year... both are messed up already. No idea what brand

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dr. Dude wrote:
as in what i used to have in my 4000?
I got 2 from amigakit last year... both are messed up already. No idea what brand
ok.
The 1.6.0.0 is working well for you too ?

Mr.Oakley

Post by Mr.Oakley »

Hi Jeff,
Mine is the original Chinon FZ-357A from new.

Mr.Oakley

Post by Mr.Oakley »

Jeff wrote: For the moment i cannot figure out why the 1.7.XX firmware generate problem on your setup. It works well on Amiga 500/600.
Maybe that there are a cpu speed/cache side effect. Anyway this seems to be an hard-to-find "bug". I will probably need to find the same setup to understand the cause of the issue.

Question : Did you still have the same issue when you disable all accelerator board and/or the memory cache ?
If it is something that setpatch changes in trackdisk.device or some other bit of the floppy handling then it would be more likely to show up on an Amiga 1200 rather than a 500/600 due to kickstart being 1.3 or 2.0 rather than 3.0+
I do have a 1200 with kickstart 3.1 but its boxed up. so I'll have to dig it out to try the drive in there.

But, saying that, booting magazine coverdisk floppy images worked fine, they boot into workbench 1.3 no problem.
I could boot workbench 1.3 and 2.0 with the 1.7 firmware, it failed when it got to 2.04 which is the first Workbench with a serious setpatch.

I can't try it with the original 68030 board in my a4000 as I don't have it anymore, I can try it if you want, but as I'd mentioned before, if I disable setpatch, the 1.7 firmware worked.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you try this version ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

thanks !

Mr.Oakley

Post by Mr.Oakley »

Jeff wrote:Can you try this version ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

thanks !
Hi Jeff,

Sorry mate, I'd missed this post.
I'll try it as soon as it can and get back to you

Cheers

Mr. O

Mr.Oakley

Post by Mr.Oakley »

Hi Jeff,

Sorry it took so long to back to you.

Same issues as before, unusable in WB3.9
Boots a WB3.1 floppy no problems
Formatting seemed okay, it completed without a problem, but anything written to the floppy image is unreadable after writing.
I formatted a floppy image, copied some files on to it, then tried to copy them into RamDisk:, all of them failed with a checksum error.. oddly on block 955, I don't know if that is significant.

Cheers

Mr.O

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Formatting is not supposed to work. What about simple file write ?
I have no choice, i have to drop the WB3.9 support for the moment : no idea at all of what happened with this system, and i don't have it and nor the hardware able to run it.

Mr.Oakley

Post by Mr.Oakley »

Jeff wrote:Formatting is not supposed to work. What about simple file write ?
I have no choice, i have to drop the WB3.9 support for the moment : no idea at all of what happened with this system, and i don't have it and nor the hardware able to run it.
The writes seemed to be okay, but when I tried to copy the files back off the floppy image, they would throw checksum errors.

No probs Jeff, thanks very much for all your help on this. It least I have a firmware that works fine in WB3.9 with the 1.6 firmware. It might be worth making the 1.6 firmware available if anyone else runs into this problem.

Cheers

Mr.O

Hanzu

Post by Hanzu »

Jeff wrote:Interesting picture.

yes according to the picture the twist is unusual on this picture. it seems to invert pin 4 & 6. this shouldn't affect the HxC.
Many Amiga 4000s were shipped with improperly-wired floppy cables. These cables had wires 3-5 twisted, instead of wires 4-6. So as this picture has 4 & 6 twisted it is not unusual at all and is a correct cable. Amiga 4000 floppy cable has 2 connectors one without a twist for DF0: and one with a twist in 4 & 6 for DF1:. I have studied the issue a little and made an info page for it:
http://relay.pp.fi/Amiga/A4000/A4000Flo ... index.html