Errors with Prince of Persia and Barbarian II with HxC-USB

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
1UP

Errors with Prince of Persia and Barbarian II with HxC-USB

Post by 1UP »

Hi there!

A few days ago I received the USB-Version of the HxC Floppy Emulator from Lotharek. I tested many games and I'm very happy with your product.
That said, I have problems with two games. The first one is Prince of Persia. Right after booting it says "Load Failed - Please Try Again". This goes for all ipf-Versions of Prince of Persia, the cracked adf-Version runs fine. The second game I can't get to load correctly is Barbarian II - The Dungeons of Drax (the game from Palace, not the one from Psygnosis). It loads for a few seconds and then resets. With Barbarian II neither ipf- nor adf-images work, they all keep resetting.
I'm using the HxC USB Floppy Emulator in an Amiga 600 with Kickstart 1.3. Since the real Diskdrive is broken I can't try it using real disks. However, I could not reproduce the problems in WinUAE. In WinUAE with Amiga 600-settings, both games are runnning fine. Maybe someone with a HxC USB and an Amiga 500 would be so nice to try the ipf and adf-images of those games to be sure if it's a compatibility problem with the Floppy Emulator or with the Amiga 600 in general. Thanks very much in advance!

TTD

Re: Errors with Prince of Persia and Barbarian II with HxC-U

Post by TTD »

I have try convert .ipf file images to the HxC with other games.
I have problems with Heroes of the Lance, it needs Kickstart 1.2 to work correctly from the .ipf image I got, so just for fun have you try that and I also only have ½ mb chipmem no slow fast on my real a500 setup.
I will just point out that I have only Rev B of this card not USB and you talk about an USB version, but maybe it's Kickstart incompatible from the images.

I would really like to test your images also to see if that will work, if you don't have the solution self for it, other than cracked ones ;)

Hope it can get your images to work, just an input if you have not try it since you only say 1.3. ;)

1UP

Post by 1UP »

Hi TTD,

with the USB-Version, you don't convert the disk images. The software running on the PC wich feeds the Floppy Emulator with the disk images works directly with ipf, adf and dms-images. The HxC-SD-Version does not fully work with copy protected ipf-images, whereas the USB-Version does. This is the reason I prefered the HxC-USB. So thanks for your nice offer to help, but as you have the HxC-SD, it will most likely not work.
I'm pretty sure that the kickstart 1.3 and the additional 512kb chipmem of the A600 are not causing the errors. I think the most propable two possibilities are that there are incompatibilities with the HxC-USB-Software or the two games somehow don't work on an A600 chipset in general (but the kickstart and the additional chipmem are not the problem. But if that is the case, then they shouldn't work in WinUAE with A600-settings I guess but they do work.)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

For prince of persia just change the Drive select setting.

For the other game i need to test it.

1UP

Post by 1UP »

Thanks for the advice! I changed the "Drive ID Setting" from "DS0" to "MTRON". I don't know what that means, but it does the trick for Prince of Persia. The game runs flawlessly now. Barbarian II keeps resetting though.

theshadowsnose

Post by theshadowsnose »

Hi! I am also having trouble with Barbarian II.
I have the SD version of the HxC emulator, i think it's rev.C and when I got it, I tried out a whole bunch of .adf images. Most of them worked fine, but I had problems with some of them. So I tried different versions of the games and that often fixed the problem. Not so with Barbarian II. I tried at least 3 different .adf versions of the game and none of them worked.
I found the notes I took back then (I tried it about 6 months ago) and they said "reboot, try another" for that specific version I tried. I can't remember when exactly during loading it rebooted, but it never asked for disk2.
Of course they all ran fine in WinUAE.
Even though I know it worked fine from floppy disk back then, I blamed it on my machine and put the problem aside to try out another machine "later".
Maybe it's not my machine...

Anyway, I have an early 1988, kickstart 1.2 Amiga 500 with a 2 Meg internal RAM expansion, of which, due to the old board version or something only 1.8 Megs are available.
The emulator is set up to emulate df0: and df1:

Greetings, Andreas

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you send me the image file ?

theshadowsnose

Post by theshadowsnose »

Sure I can, but give me another week or so. I haven't set up my amiga atm and i want to check out again if all the images i have, produce the same error and give you a more detailed error description. Maybe that will save you some work.
I need a place to send the image to, btw...

Greetings and thanks, Andreas

mojorific

Post by mojorific »

I do not have issues running prince of persia on an A500 with Kickstart 1.3 and 1 Meg Ram. I have both drives available, but just load the rom in the first (DF0) slot.

theshadowsnose

Post by theshadowsnose »

Hi
I just updated to v1.7.1.2 and tested Barbarian II again. I tested 2 different versions and both worked.
I would call that fixed!

Thank You!

Greetings Andreas