thanks and a problem

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
jean-louise

thanks and a problem

Post by jean-louise »

hello

the HxC SD Floppy Emulator arrived today and it works great! thank you very much for this awesome device!

i got one problem though: aegis sonix won't run! i tried about 7 or 8 differnt versions and none of them would start. each time there pops up a system message early in the loading progress: you must replace volume sonix in any drive :-(

i hope you can help me - to run sonix was one of my main goals

many greetings
jan

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: thanks and a problem

Post by Jeff »

jean-louise wrote:hello

the HxC SD Floppy Emulator arrived today and it works great! thank you very much for this awesome device!

i got one problem though: aegis sonix won't run! i tried about 7 or 8 differnt versions and none of them would start. each time there pops up a system message early in the loading progress: you must replace volume sonix in any drive :-(

i hope you can help me - to run sonix was one of my main goals

many greetings
jan
Try this firmware update :
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... 6_2_1A.UPD

jean-louise

Post by jean-louise »

Works graet now! thanks!!
:D
jan

jean-louise

Post by jean-louise »

Hi!

I made some tests saving instruments and scores in Sonix 2.0 and unfortunately it doesn't work too good. i was able to save some instruments, but sometimes the application couldn't load them afterwards.
I also tried to save scores and this was even worse, I tried to save just an empty score and in about 4 out of 5 attempts the files were broken i.e. I got a message "can't load score from disk".
I have the beta of the firmware for the rev 3 sd card emulator running and i also tried the experimental hfe file format with more or less the same results.
Couldn't reproduce the errors in winuae so I guess it's got something to do with the floppy emulation (or my amiga ;)
Any help is greatly appreciated

jan

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jean-louise wrote:Hi!

I made some tests saving instruments and scores in Sonix 2.0 and unfortunately it doesn't work too good. i was able to save some instruments, but sometimes the application couldn't load them afterwards.
I also tried to save scores and this was even worse, I tried to save just an empty score and in about 4 out of 5 attempts the files were broken i.e. I got a message "can't load score from disk".
I have the beta of the firmware for the rev 3 sd card emulator running and i also tried the experimental hfe file format with more or less the same results.
Couldn't reproduce the errors in winuae so I guess it's got something to do with the floppy emulation (or my amiga ;)
Any help is greatly appreciated

jan
can you retry with another sdcard (another brand/model and/or higher class) ?

what is your jumper setting / floppy cable used / Amiga model (pal or ntsc ?) ?

Does the HxC emulate DF0 and DF1 ? Do you have a second drive ?
If yes can you retry by removing the second HxC jumper or disable the second disk drive ?

also can you check the 5V power supply with a voltmeter ?

do you have add something between the lcd and the board (wires ?) ?

last: can you send me the adf used ?

jean-louise

Post by jean-louise »

Jeff wrote:Does the HxC emulate DF0 and DF1 ? Do you have a second drive ?
If yes can you retry by removing the second HxC jumper or disable the second disk drive ?
Yes, it was emulating both DF0 and DF1. I disabled DF1 in the file manager and that seems to do the trick! I'm going do some more testing though.
I'll answer the other questions anyway to complete the information:

can you retry with another sdcard (another brand/model and/or higher class) ?
I am using a SanDisk class 4 8GB SDHC card. I haven't anything better at hand right now. Which version/brand works best with the HxC?
what is your jumper setting / floppy cable used / Amiga model (pal or ntsc ?) ?
Amiga model is an A500, board rev 5a, PAL. Floppy cable is a straight one (no twist). I used the one that was attached to the original drive, but changed it for a similar longer one, that i assembled myself with new parts. Headers are assymetrical on both cables: header connections facing down - cable - header connections facing up

The red (or in my case blue) wire is left on both the Amiga board and the HxC. Else the access LED would always stay on.
The problems were occurring with both cables. Jumper settings according to the manual. like this:

also can you check the 5V power supply with a voltmeter ?
It's a little over 5V, ~5,4V.
The 12V line is not connected.
do you have add something between the lcd and the board (wires ?) ?
I am not using the LCD right now, so: no.
last: can you send me the adf used ?
Should I still send you the adf? If yes, should I send the original adf, or the one with my non-working test scores on it?
The e-mail adress is hxc2001[at]free.fr ?

If the DF1 emulation was causing the problem is there a workaround? It would be a little more convenient to use the second drive for a datadisk but it's not that important to me.

Wow, "that's a lot of nuts!" ;)
Thanks and greetings
jan

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jean-louise wrote:
Jeff wrote:Does the HxC emulate DF0 and DF1 ? Do you have a second drive ?
Yes, it was emulating both DF0 and DF1. I disabled DF1 in the file manager and that seems to do the trick! I'm going do some more testing though.

If the DF1 emulation was causing the problem is there a workaround? It would be a little more convenient to use the second drive for a datadisk but it's not that important to me.

Wow, "that's a lot of nuts!" ;)
Thanks and greetings
jan
okay it's seems that i have some works to do on this beta version before release it ;)

For the moment no workaround. i will try it on my side and correct the bug.

Can you send me the ADF file ?

jean-louise

Post by jean-louise »

Sent