I can't get drive B (DF1) to work. Help!

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
cdtv1991

I can't get drive B (DF1) to work. Help!

Post by cdtv1991 »

I have a Commodore CDTV with a switch to set it in A500 mode. My HxC is connected part of an old external floppy drive, to the CDTV via the floppy port at the back of the machine.

Jumper settings are ok. I've got the single disk set-up working but I have to use the buttons to swap disks when prompted.

I can't seem to get a second disk drive "Drive B" - DF1 to work. Any ideas?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: I can't get drive B (DF1) to work. Help!

Post by Jeff »

cdtv1991 wrote:I have a Commodore CDTV with a switch to set it in A500 mode. My HxC is connected part of an old external floppy drive, to the CDTV via the floppy port at the back of the machine.

Jumper settings are ok. I've got the single disk set-up working but I have to use the buttons to swap disks when prompted.

I can't seem to get a second disk drive "Drive B" - DF1 to work. Any ideas?
Jumper setting ? floppy cable used ?

a picture please.

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

Here's some pictures of my set up in its enclosure

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=734

Jumpers are set up like the picture on page 9 of the manual (top right hand box)

Single drive works ok

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

If the HxC is connected to the external floppy controller board, can it function as two drives (DF0 + DF1) coming off one controller, considering the daisy-chain socket at the back of the controller is not connected?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtv1991 wrote:If the HxC is connected to the external floppy controller board, can it function as two drives (DF0 + DF1) coming off one controller, considering the daisy-chain socket at the back of the controller is not connected?
Right now i don't know. i have to look at the cdtv schematic.

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

Thanks for response Jeff,

The floppy controller I am referring to is not an internal CDTV item but the small board I took out of an Amiga external disk drive, you can see it in the pictures just beinh the HxC.

I suppose the first question should be, can the HxC operate two drives (A+B) from a single external floppy drive interface?
Has anyone done this before?

I can see that most HxC users are connecting directly to a machine's internal floppy drive connector, whereas I am connecting to an external disk drive's interface, even though the CDTV does not have an internal floppy drive, just a socket at the back of th machine.

Do you think there is something wrong with my set-up or configuration that would prevent drive B (DF1) from working?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtv1991 wrote:Thanks for response Jeff,

The floppy controller I am referring to is not an internal CDTV item but the small board I took out of an Amiga external disk drive, you can see it in the pictures just beinh the HxC.

I suppose the first question should be, can the HxC operate two drives (A+B) from a single external floppy drive interface?
Has anyone done this before?

I can see that most HxC users are connecting directly to a machine's internal floppy drive connector, whereas I am connecting to an external disk drive's interface, even though the CDTV does not have an internal floppy drive, just a socket at the back of th machine.

Do you think there is something wrong with my set-up or configuration that would prevent drive B (DF1) from working?
Check if the DS0 & DS1 lines are connected to the HxC !

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

I've got a 23pin male plug to connect into the CDTV, this ends in a 24pin socket (23 connected) and connects to the AMIDISK Iss.4 floppy board, there is a 34 pin internal floppy connector on the AMIDISK board and of course another 34pin floppy connector on the HxC.

I assume i'm looking to confirm whether all the lines at the 24pin socket are connected to the AMIDISK floppy connector and NOT just routed straight to the 23pin external female socket on the AMIDISK board.

After some checking:

At the 24pin socket on the AMIDISK board: one pin does nothing, 11 pins go to both the 23 pin external female socket on the back of the board AND the 34pin internal floppy connector, 6 pins go to the power socket, 1 pin just goes to the internal floppy connector and 4 pins just go to the 23pin external female socket

So some of the pins that are just connected to the 23 pin external female socket must need to be re-wired to the internal floppy connector. I just need to work out which ones.