Amiga Disk Change Issue

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
metaneutrons

Amiga Disk Change Issue

Post by metaneutrons »

Hi there,

I've successfully integrated the Rev. C of the emulator in a A1200 housing as DF0. Everything seemed to work perfectly well. I ran the update to the latest firmware (1.6.0.0) and tried out some demos.

Than I booted the Workbench 3.1 and wanted to install it to the internal fresh CF. This was the first time I had to change the disk without a reset or power-off. Unfortunately the Amiga seemed not to notice the disk change. The INSTALL disk stayed on the WB screen.

I've checked the net and found out that this issue should be fixed since firmware 1.1.0.0.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Kind regards,
Fabian

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Amiga Disk Change Issue

Post by Jeff »

metaneutrons wrote: Is anybody else having this problem?
Hi,

Yes it's probably a bad jumper setting !
Have a look to the user manual.

metaneutrons

Post by metaneutrons »

Hi there,

thanks Jeff.

I set the jumper as shown in the manual. Only a single drive (because I left the internal drive as DF1), so only a single jumper! Is there anything else I have to do?

Kind regards,
Fabian

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

metaneutrons wrote:Hi there,

thanks Jeff.

I set the jumper as shown in the manual. Only a single drive (because I left the internal drive as DF1), so only a single jumper! Is there anything else I have to do?

Kind regards,
Fabian
So it's probably an Escom A1200. Can you check this ?

Escom modified the A1200 motherboard with some wire to use PC compatible disk drive.

To avoid some compatibility problems i recommend you to revert the modifications.

(
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59510
http://www.google.com/search?q=Escom%20 ... channel=np
)

Berry

Post by Berry »

I also seem to stumble upon this problem. I use an A1200 (original KS3.0 and i upgraded to KS3.1 ROMs and non-Escom as far as i can determine) and a HxC2001 Rev.C (v1.6) and i also experience simular behaviour.

While selecting another bank, which has a different .HFE file, Dopus i.e. does not recognise the selected disk properly.

I can make a youtube movie showing the behaviour, if you like.
Last edited by Berry on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metaneutrons

Post by metaneutrons »

Hi there,
thanks for your quick reply, Jeff!

It's not an ESCOM A1200. It has a built-in Chinon floppy and is the C= version with original KS 3.0 (I update the ROMs myself to 3.1). A soft reset always did the trick. But this doesn't help if you have games or applications with more than one disk.

You're help is really appreciated. If helpful I can shot some photos. I already did, as you can see in the Showroom section of the board, but maybe not the right one! ;)

Kind regards,
Fabian

metaneutrons

Post by metaneutrons »

Hi folks,
is anybody else experiencing this kind of problem?

Any chance that this is a firmware problem which can be solved?

Kind regards,
Fabian

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

metaneutrons wrote:Hi folks,
is anybody else experiencing this kind of problem?

Any chance that this is a firmware problem which can be solved?

Kind regards,
Fabian
Escuse me, but can you put an picture of the jumper setting ?
Are you sure that your A1200 isn't an Escom one ?

(i re-ask because i already got this kind of problems with Escom Amiga...)

EDIT : Another tips : have you tried to change your floppy cable ? Diskchange wire is often damaged ....

iarwain

Post by iarwain »

Hi!

I have a similar problem here. I have a rev C that I bought a bit over 6 months ago. I'm using the latest tools/firmware.
My Amiga is a NTSC A500 (Rev 6) with RAM extension. I'm using a brand new floppy cable I bought online and I set the HxC in single floppy drive mode.

I've tried two different SD cards with the same result (Transcend 16GB SDHC & WinTEC 8GB SDHC).

Most of the multi-disk games and demos get stuck when I need to change a disk nothing happens: the display on the HxC doesn't 'change', by that I mean it stays on the previous track number after the new disk image has been selected.

Some examples are Dune (VF), Another World (VF) and Genesia (VF). Tried all the TOSEC versions for those.

Not sure if it helps but for Another World, after switching the disk and pressing the mouse button, the 'Insert Other Disk' message briefly disappears and come back a split second after.

On the opposite, it works well for a few games such as Moonstone (this one asks to press fire before continuing, not sure if it's important or not).

The HxC SD Card is really great but not being able to use multi-disk games/demos is a bit limiting. :)

Thanks in advance!
Looking for an open source, multiplatform, 2D-oriented game engine? Pay us a visit at http://orx-project.org.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

iarwain wrote: Some examples are Dune (VF), Another World (VF) and Genesia (VF). Tried all the TOSEC versions for those.

Not sure if it helps but for Another World, after switching the disk and pressing the mouse button, the 'Insert Other Disk' message briefly disappears and come back a split second after.

On the opposite, it works well for a few games such as Moonstone (this one asks to press fire before continuing, not sure if it's important or not).

The HxC SD Card is really great but not being able to use multi-disk games/demos is a bit limiting. :)

Thanks in advance!
Sorry but all is working here !

Please check your jumper setting !
You must use the ID0 lines for DF0 and the ID1 lines for DF1. (and not ID3!!!)
Please have a look to the user manual page 9! (is your floppy cable twisted or not ?)
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... Manual.pdf

If this is ok, your floppy cable is probably damaged (DSKCHG line cuted).
This is a common floppy cable issue.
Try another one !

iarwain

Post by iarwain »

Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff, much appreciated.

The jumper is correctly set on ID0 (no other jumpers as I'm using the HxC in single drive mode). The floppy cable is not twisted.

I got the same result on another Amiga (rev 5 NTSC, this time). I'll try with another floppy cable whenever I get the chance and will let you know if it solves my issue.
Looking for an open source, multiplatform, 2D-oriented game engine? Pay us a visit at http://orx-project.org.

TTD

Post by TTD »

About diskchange you could use the command for it, just a hint.

Personal experience for me, how this is working.

I have a defective real amiga floppy drive (not data cable because this works on other drive), it can NOT see when I change floppies and only works 1 time, trick for me to get it work, is to use the command proparly found at workbench called: DiskChange (copy this to your RAM of your Amiga) together with other commands like CD, Dir or List. Depending on which Amiga Kickstart you have.

Then use a shell or CLI.
Type RAM:DiskChange (Device) my example DF0: it should then do the trick, and I can use more floppies but only Amiga standard DOS floppies not trackdisk loaders of demoes or games.

NOTE: I know this thread is kind of old but have lately join this community and maybe it can help some others with this information.