Problem with writing Amiga disks

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Retrofoxy

Problem with writing Amiga disks

Post by Retrofoxy »

Hello. I have a problem with writing Amiga disks.
I have the blue HxC rev 3 with latest firmware.
I build the HxC as internal drive in my Amiga 500.
I made a empty disk with WinUAE and converted it with the HxCFloppyEmulator Software in a .hfe file and copied it on the SD card.
When I try to Copy disks from my external df1: drive to the HxC (df0:) the display shows W with no error. But when the operation is finished, the image is empty.
The same is when i try to write some files with the Workbench on the empty image. It show "Copy" there is no error, but when i try to reload the file. The image is empty.
Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Thank you very much.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Problem with writing Amiga disks

Post by Jeff »

Retrofoxy wrote: I have the blue HxC rev 3 with latest firmware.
mhh ? what is a "HxC rev 3" ?

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

Sorry, I meant
"SD Floppy Emulator Rev C BLUE EDITION" :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Retrofoxy wrote:Sorry, I meant
"SD Floppy Emulator Rev C BLUE EDITION" :)
What says the LCD about the revision ?

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

The LCD shows

(c)HxC2001 V1.6.0.0
Revision C board

Thank you.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Retrofoxy wrote:The LCD shows

(c)HxC2001 V1.6.0.0
Revision C board

Thank you.
Jumper setting ?
HxC Floppy Software used (version ? ) ?

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

Jumpers are set as ID0 Drive A (without twisted cable) as shown in the User Manual.
HxC Floppy Software is 1.6.9.0

I just tried to copy a disk from my external DF1: to the HxC with X-Copy2 using the "Nibble Copy Mode" and X-Copy 2 showed some "No index signal on df0:" errors while copying. But only on some tracks. Some tracks were copied without errors, some tracks showed the "No index signal" error.
The result is that the formerly empy disk is now shown as "DF0:BAD" in Workbench.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please post one of your empty floppy disk image in HFE format here.

EDIT: In fact send me all stuff that you are using to make the test : Empty disk image, boot disk image, ...

EDIT 2: Did you modify something on the HxC ? LCD connection ?

Note: did you know that you can create an empty image without WinUAE ? -> Create FS Floppy.

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

Sorry for the late reply. Made some more tests.
The only thing I modiefied was to make a cable for the LCD display. But if I connect the LCD display directly to the HxC the problem stays sthe same.
I made now a empty disk directly with the Floppysoftware but it has the same problem as the UAE image. When I try to format a existing image (tried several) with workbench it shows a lot of veryfying errors while formatting. So it can write I suppose, but with a lot of errors. I tried to save a game in direclty on the gamedisk and that worked. So the only problem is Nibblecopy and copying from a external drive to an emtpy image. I even tried several external drives that work on another Amiga.
I'll send you the images I use right away. Thank you.

edit typos

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Retrofoxy wrote:Sorry for the late reply. Made some more tests.
The only thing I modiefied was to make a cable for the LCD display. But if I connect the LCD display directly to the HxC the problem stays sthe same.
I made now a empty disk directly with the Floppysoftware but it has the same problem as the UAE image. When I try to format a existing image (tried several) with workbench it shows a lot of veryfying errors while formatting. So it can write I suppose, but with a lot of errors. I tried to save a game in direclty on the gamedisk and that worked. So the only problem is Nibblecopy and copying from a external drive to an emtpy image. I even tried several external drives that work on another Amiga.
I'll send you the images I use right away. Thank you.

edit typos
how did you create empty.hfe ?

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

empty.hfe was created with the Floppyemulator software. empty_adf.hfe with WinUAE and then converted.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Retrofoxy wrote:empty.hfe was created with the Floppyemulator software. empty_adf.hfe with WinUAE and then converted.
In fact empty.hfe is Amstrad CPC mode. Turn it into Amiga mode and this should works ;)

Regarding the Amiga write support for the moment only AmigaDOS sector write is supported. So to test the write support, copy some files under WB.

Retrofoxy

Post by Retrofoxy »

Ooops. I thought I selected the 880KB DSDD AmigaDOS version *blush* my mistake.
Writing under workbench works fine.
I just have to forget about the Nibblecopy then :)
Thank you and thanks again for the great HxC device

javidoom

Post by javidoom »

Hi!

I have my A600 with internal SD Emulator rev 3 and latest firmware too, installed as internal drive. Only one jumper installed selecting DF0:. (And an ACA630 installed)

Yesterday, I used the XCopyPro without problems. Today, I'm having the same errors as you, trying to use the XCopy, no signal data, and sometimes, Xcopy doesn't show the mouse... strange thing. :?
Googleing a little, about the mouse topic in xcopy, someone recommended using "X-Copy - The Next Generation".

This one works like a charm! I don't get more errors :)

Try it to copy from df0: to df1:, it works, at least for me :)
(Tried many many firmwares, and all did the same). (And more or less, the same behaviour with kickstart 1.3 or 3.1)...

Regards.

PS: Even more... sometimes, the SD Emulator "resets" and beeps, when I try to copy from df0 to df1 with the normal version of XcopyPro... (seems like it has not enough power, but I'm using a PC adapted PSU)...
I think I have too much things installed on the A600... ... ... xD hard to make definitive conclussions...
(((And WHY yesterday it worked, and not today???? xD )))