Problem with floppy emulator

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
ivathoma

Re: Problem with floppy emulator

Post by ivathoma »

Setting the HFE setting to "IBM PC 720kB" actually makes the floppy emulator responsive to disk change.
When trying to load Autoboot.hfe the display writes "RA T 000/000 S:0" a few times and reverts back to the "insert disk" screen.

The autoboot.hfe does not work, but I've actually managed to load a game - The Lost Vikings.
Many games get stuck in a loop however and I am pretty sure this has something to do with the nRDY signal being missing.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ivathoma wrote: The autoboot.hfe does not work, but I've actually managed to load a game - The Lost Vikings.
Many games get stuck in a loop however and I am pretty sure this has something to do with the nRDY signal being missing.
Sure.

ivathoma

Post by ivathoma »

Something tells me my old A1200 wasn't broken.
The sound just disappeared on the new one too.
Could it be a power problem?

Edit: got sound back, I've tried to remove track sounds and UI sounds from the floppy emulator to help cope with potential power problems.
Also got more games working, I'm a bit unsure whether or not I should do the modding of the mainboard or just keep the computer as it is.
After all I got Settlers working, which was my main objective :))

ivathoma

Post by ivathoma »

Any good ideas on how to get the Autoboot.hfe to run?
I just love that program, makes everything so easy.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ivathoma wrote:Any good ideas on how to get the Autoboot.hfe to run?
I just love that program, makes everything so easy.
it should works. it don't use the ready signal...
What is the problem?

ivathoma

Post by ivathoma »

The problem was that Autoboot.hfe didn't load.
On the display I could see "RA T 000/000 S:0" blinking a few times and then it went back to the "insert disk" screen.

The problem has been solved now however, without having to solder anything.
It turned out that the sound on my old, real Commodore (not Escom crap) A1200, still worked.
I'm suspecting that the old power supply might have been the cause.

Now I've got a spare, brand new Escom Magic Bundle A1200 pack with WB 3.1 and a CF hard drive lying about as a spare machine! :p

Thanks a lot for the help btw! :)

Ivar.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi guys,

Could you please tell us what's the procedure to solve the issue on escom a1200?

I tried to do the following, but still I can't force the amiga and the device to run the manager.

How I prepare SD card:

1. Format SD card with FAT32
2. Run HxCFloppyEmulator.exe
3. Menu settings > SD HxC..
4. Untick in HFE file interface mode the 'auto' option and select 'IBM PC 720kB', then OK
5. Load and I choose original AUTOBOOT.HFE for DF0
6. Export and copy new file to SD card
7. Copy also HXCSDFE.CFG

Unfortunately nothing interesting happens. For few second the 'insert floppy' screen disappears, floppy emulator makes some 'read' sounds, but just after few seconds I'm back to 'insert floppy' screen.

Many thanks, cheers!
Kokos

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

I guys, I'd really appreciate an answer..

I bought your product, on the compatibility page it says that it's working with escom a1200, without any additional comments - https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... upport.htm - but it seems it's not working. Please help me. I'd expect official statement what must be done. Many thanks for understanding.

Kind regards,
Konrad

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos wrote:I guys, I'd really appreciate an answer..

I bought your product, on the compatibility page it says that it's working with escom a1200, without any additional comments - https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... upport.htm - but it seems it's not working. Please help me. I'd expect official statement what must be done. Many thanks for understanding.

Kind regards,
Konrad
It works on the escom amiga..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXUJwFKO9A

but anyway since most of game/demos are not compatible with the escom modification (disk change & ready signal modification), i recommend you to revert the escom modification. You can find the way to do this on some amiga related website/forum.

EDIT : Try to change the interface mode directly into the embedded menu (Interface cfg mode).

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi Jeff, thank you so much for your reply.

The link you provided is with C= a1200, as my eyes can see..

Anyway, before I'll do any mainboard modifications, I'd like check any software/configuration options first. You say I can 'try to change the interface mode directly into the embedded menu (Interface cfg mode)' but.. how to do this with the Slim version? :)

Many thanks for your support,
Konrad

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mhh ok. let's restart again the whole process...

give me :
-the original floppy disk drive model
-the original floppy disk drive jumper settings (a picture)

- if possible : a picture of the escom modification

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Amiga 1200 Escom Floppy Fix quick tutorial :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fYOjTYvXM

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi Jeff, I'm sorry I was away for a while.

The original floppy drive in my Escom a1200 is Panasonic JU-257A516P and I can see that there are no jumpers. I'm also not sure if escom modification is visible bare eye - this is just another mainboard revision I guess.. -> http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/b ... .aspx?id=3
It consisted of a slightly newer motherboard with KS 3.1 ROMs (as opposed to 3.0) and a PC floppy drive jumpered down to double density for Amiga use. The floppy drive was suitable for most operations however it did have problems with games which used special track loading techniques as anti piracy measures.
Thank you for fixing tutorials, but I'd really like to confirm we are unable to do anything on the configuration/software side first.

Once again thank you for your support!

Cheers,
Konrad