Commodore CDTV+HxC interface question before buying

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
cdtv1991

Commodore CDTV+HxC interface question before buying

Post by cdtv1991 »

I'm hoping to buy a HxC (SD version) this week providing I can confirm a few points first:

I would like to mount the the HxC inside the CDTV box, so I won't see the LCD screen or be able to push the buttons. My aim would be to operate the HxC just from the CDTV controller (which acts like a normal mouse or joystick).

1) Can I navigate the "Host Control Tool" without a keyboard (all three buttons on the HxC). Can I navigate it from the CDTV's remote controller?

2) What sort of voltage or signal would it take to "operate" any of the three buttons? I am wondering if I could link one of the CDTV controller buttons (via the corresponding point on the CDTV board) to the select button on the HxC."

Thanks

Rich

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Commodore CDTV+HxC interface question before buying

Post by Jeff »

cdtv1991 wrote:I'm hoping to buy a HxC (SD version) this week providing I can confirm a few points first:

I would like to mount the the HxC inside the CDTV box, so I won't see the LCD screen or be able to push the buttons. My aim would be to operate the HxC just from the CDTV controller (which acts like a normal mouse or joystick).

1) Can I navigate the "Host Control Tool" without a keyboard (all three buttons on the HxC). Can I navigate it from the CDTV's remote controller?
Not in the actual file selector version. but this can be easily added.
In fact the actual version use the amiga keyboard.
cdtv1991 wrote: 2) What sort of voltage or signal would it take to "operate" any of the three buttons? I am wondering if I could link one of the CDTV controller buttons (via the corresponding point on the CDTV board) to the select button on the HxC."
the floppy emulator buttons lines are connected to a 5V pull up resistor. To "push" the button you just to connect the corresponding line to the ground.

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

Thanks Jeff. I ordered the HxC SD unit from eBay last night.

Would you be able to add in a function that can navigate the selector software on the Amiga with a Joystick? (i.e. Left, Right and Select)

If so then I can mount the HxC inside the CDTV permanently, leaving a small card slot outside.

Regards,

Rich

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

Does the latest version of the selector software allow control from an Amiga joystick?

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

cdtv1991 wrote:Does the latest version of the selector software allow control from an Amiga joystick?

Thanks
No, i have not updated the selector yet.

cdtv1991

Post by cdtv1991 »

Got my HxC today for my CDTV. Used a stripped out external floppy drive interface and cable and I've got one of three test games working.

More testing tomorrow