Amiga Host Control

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
p@rity

Amiga Host Control

Post by p@rity »

I was wondering if there was an update planned around the Amiga version of the Host Control. I really like the concept and am using the feature fairly often. The current implementation is showing some issues when I run it on an Amiga 500 (ROM v1.2 and 2.0).

- Selections are not always saved correctly. When you select Disk 1 in slot 1, Disk 2 in slot 2 and so forth, occasionally the selection for Disk 1 is overwritten with the selection in Disk 2. Sometimes selections are for slots that have not been selected.

- The Slot Selection control keys seem sensitive. It is difficult to select a specif slot... when you press the selection key slightly too long, the selection jumps multiple slots.

- With cards containing directories with numerous files (with long names) the listing of the content of the card can be slow.

- The screen was designed for a PAL machine, which causes the bottom bit to drop from my screen. This is just a minor issue though, as the application remains usable without this piece.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Amiga Host Control

Post by Jeff »

p@rity wrote:I was wondering if there was an update planned around the Amiga version of the Host Control. I really like the concept and am using the feature fairly often. The current implementation is showing some issues when I run it on an Amiga 500 (ROM v1.2 and 2.0).

- Selections are not always saved correctly. When you select Disk 1 in slot 1, Disk 2 in slot 2 and so forth, occasionally the selection for Disk 1 is overwritten with the selection in Disk 2. Sometimes selections are for slots that have not been selected.

- The Slot Selection control keys seem sensitive. It is difficult to select a specif slot... when you press the selection key slightly too long, the selection jumps multiple slots.

- With cards containing directories with numerous files (with long names) the listing of the content of the card can be slow.

- The screen was designed for a PAL machine, which causes the bottom bit to drop from my screen. This is just a minor issue though, as the application remains usable without this piece.

Thanks!
Some issues (keyboard, screen and browsing speed problem) are corrected with this beta version:
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... TOBOOT.HFE

p@rity

Post by p@rity »

This beta is making a huge difference! The selection process is much beter and it seems like the order is saving properly as well. I'll do some more testing around that though.

I am using ADF images with very large file names. Unfortunately, the tool doesn't display enough of the name for me to distinguish them. I can't always rely on the sort order either. Perhaps there is a way to display more characters or select a specific file to display the full name?

wyldecyote

Post by wyldecyote »

Hi, Having simular problems on my amiga a1200. Trying to select anything it tends to jump 2 or 3 lines at a time, selecting slots tends to jump fowards more than one slot at a time, and selecting rom image files scrolls down the list really fast and jumps several files on each key press. It looks like the software is running too fast? :shock: sometimes you can make the cursor move one line at a time but you hve to tap the arrow keys as fast as you can! So at the moment the software is pretty well much unusable...
tried the link to the autoboot.hfe above, but no difference in speed.... how can i slow this program down, or, (as i think it really needs)possibly add a key repeat delay of about half a second after first key press before the key stroke is auto repeated to your program?
and a silly question...is the mouse supposed to work in the emmulator manager as i can see the red mouse pointer at top left but it does not move? thakyou for any feedback..

wyldecyote

Post by wyldecyote »

So from the lack of any response i can draw 2 conclusions...

1: no-one else has had this problem? very unlikley as i have now tried on 2 amiga a1200 and both the same

2: no one has used one of these on a a1200, only a500 and a600.....?

either way, i have to conclude that:

I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS UNIT TO ANYONE WITH A COMMODORE AMIGA A1200 :( :( :(

if they are going to use it via the on screen adf image loader, as it runs too fast and is almost impossible to select anything.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wyldecyote wrote:So from the lack of any response i can draw 2 conclusions...

1: no-one else has had this problem? very unlikley as i have now tried on 2 amiga a1200 and both the same

2: no one has used one of these on a a1200, only a500 and a600.....?

either way, i have to conclude that:

I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THIS UNIT TO ANYONE WITH A COMMODORE AMIGA A1200 :( :( :(

if they are going to use it via the on screen adf image loader, as it runs too fast and is almost impossible to select anything.
First calm down a little, i didn't saw your post.

After I don't have any A1200 !!!! So please be patient !!!! i will update the tools in some weeks!!!

but can you try this beta version and tell me if this one if ok ? :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... HFE__A1200

rwap

Post by rwap »

Any chance the source code for this Host Control software could be made available online (or emailed to me) - I was going to have a look at how difficult it would be to create a version for the Sinclair QL - I don't have an Amiga or Atari, so the .hfe file is not a lot of use to me :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

rwap wrote:Any chance the source code for this Host Control software could be made available online (or emailed to me) - I was going to have a look at how difficult it would be to create a version for the Sinclair QL - I don't have an Amiga or Atari, so the .hfe file is not a lot of use to me :D
which fdc are used in the QL?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

New Amiga file selector:
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... anager.zip

This one correct the slow down and speed problem.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

New Amiga/Atari ST file selector:

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... anager.zip

V1.5a
-> faster disk access
-> New search function.
-> some bugs corrected.
-> and 1 or 2 others stuff :)

rwap

Post by rwap »

Jeff wrote:
rwap wrote:Any chance the source code for this Host Control software could be made available online (or emailed to me) - I was going to have a look at how difficult it would be to create a version for the Sinclair QL - I don't have an Amiga or Atari, so the .hfe file is not a lot of use to me :D
which fdc are used in the QL?
Hi - sorry, I missed this (been busy on other projects).

The QL uses the WD1770 mainly, and some interfaces have the WD1772 chip

Is that what you mean as it is pointless referring to the number of QL interfaces used!