Write support for the Amiga (Firmware V1.3.0.0)

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
indianas

Post by indianas »

Oh, wery good :)

I'am wait and buy the next batch version :wink:

thanx for your fast answer, :D

AmiCali

Post by AmiCali »

Hi :D

Does the actual available HxC Floppy Drive Emulator SDCard contain the Add-on for the write option on Amiga computers?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AmiCali wrote:Hi :D

Does the actual available HxC Floppy Drive Emulator SDCard contain the Add-on for the write option on Amiga computers?
These one are actually manufactured. Once available an announcement will be done.

gsargent

Post by gsargent »

Ok got my mod done. Thanks Jeff for such a wonderful product. Here are a couple pics in case anyone wants to see

Front of SRAM Board

Back of SRAM Board

Installed Board

Installed Close-up

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Finally i managed to port the file selector software to Amiga:

Rev B & C Hardware are supported. You have just to get the lastest firmware update and file selector software on the project website:

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... l#download

:)

p@rity

Post by p@rity »

The selector software is a nice addition... being able to navigate this way feels much more natural than using the emulator itself. However, it's pretty slow when a full SD card is used with long file names, compared to the direct navigation. Also, when you deal with games with multiple disks, it's hard to swap them without having a UI. So removing the LCD on the device is not practical yet.

It's not a big deal, but the utility is using PAL, so for all of us stuck with NTSC the bottom of the screen is missing (version information).

I am glad to see these kinds of optimizations though!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

p@rity wrote:The selector software is a nice addition... being able to navigate this way feels much more natural than using the emulator itself. However, it's pretty slow when a full SD card is used with long file names, compared to the direct navigation. Also, when you deal with games with multiple disks, it's hard to swap them without having a UI. So removing the LCD on the device is not practical yet.

It's not a big deal, but the utility is using PAL, so for all of us stuck with NTSC the bottom of the screen is missing (version information).

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Regarding the speed there still some work to do (this is an alpha version). It's funny because an A1200 user told me that the program is too fast ;-).
Which Amiga are you using ?

Regarding the multi disk games, the idea is to insert all floppy of the same game in different slots, in the right order (disk 1-> slot 1, disk 2-> slot 2, disk 3-> slot 3, ...).
After this, the buzzer tell you which disk is inserted when you change it.

Regarding the PAL/NTSC problem, i am using a 640*240 screen resolution.
I supposed that you cannot have more than 640*200 ?

p@rity

Post by p@rity »

Jeff wrote:
p@rity wrote:The selector software is a nice addition... being able to navigate this way feels much more natural than using the emulator itself. However, it's pretty slow when a full SD card is used with long file names, compared to the direct navigation. Also, when you deal with games with multiple disks, it's hard to swap them without having a UI. So removing the LCD on the device is not practical yet.

Regarding the speed there still some work to do (this is an alpha version). It's funny because an A1200 user told me that the program is too fast ;-).
Which Amiga are you using ?

Regarding the multi disk games, the idea is to insert all floppy of the same game in different slots, in the right order (disk 1-> slot 1, disk 2-> slot 2, disk 3-> slot 3, ...).
After this, the buzzer tell you which disk is inserted when you change it.

Regarding the PAL/NTSC problem, i am using a 640*240 screen resolution.
I supposed that you cannot have more than 640*200 ?

Totally understand this is merely an initial version. And like where this is going for sure!

With NTSC (Never The Same Color :) ) we only get 200 vertical... so the version info is not visible to me. I am running the tool on a standard Amiga 500. The slowness seems to mostly occur when I scroll thru lists of files with long names.

For as far as the games go, they ask for disk 1, then disk 6... then maybe 3... not necessarily in a nice order.

p@rity

Post by p@rity »

About the slow vs fast experience... I suspect it may have something to do with selecting the images in their slots. When you use the keyboard to run thru slots, it seems very sensitive... making it hard to move just one slot forward. Pressing the key just a bit too long results in selecting 2 or 3 slots ahead as opposed to one. The process of rendering the images in the select-list takes a long time though... and if you have a lot of images in one directory, each page you go forward thru the images, it takes longer to render them on screen. Once rendered, things are fine.

I also noticed that sometimes the selected slots don't save properly. I believe that is really the problem with multi-disk selections I brought up earlier. For some reason the selected sequence is not saved and you end up with disk 001 in more than 1 slot.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

p@rity wrote:About the slow vs fast experience... I suspect it may have something to do with selecting the images in their slots. When you use the keyboard to run thru slots, it seems very sensitive... making it hard to move just one slot forward. Pressing the key just a bit too long results in selecting 2 or 3 slots ahead as opposed to one. The process of rendering the images in the select-list takes a long time though... and if you have a lot of images in one directory, each page you go forward thru the images, it takes longer to render them on screen. Once rendered, things are fine.

I also noticed that sometimes the selected slots don't save properly. I believe that is really the problem with multi-disk selections I brought up earlier. For some reason the selected sequence is not saved and you end up with disk 001 in more than 1 slot.

About the slot saving, how do you proceed?

p@rity

Post by p@rity »

Jeff wrote:
p@rity wrote:...I also noticed that sometimes the selected slots don't save properly. I believe that is really the problem with multi-disk selections I brought up earlier. For some reason the selected sequence is not saved and you end up with disk 001 in more than 1 slot.

About the slot saving, how do you proceed?
I am using left <ALT> to select the slot, then <Return> to pick an image. Once I pick say 4 images and review them with <TAB>, usually all remaining slots are filled with an odd selection. It also seems to sometimes mess up the first 4 image selections. Especially when you attempt to clear out slots, this seems to happen.