Access to drive B slots?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
siliconscientist

Access to drive B slots?

Post by siliconscientist »

I have just installed my new HxC rev. C into my Amiga 500 (standard model with Kickstart 1.2 and 512k memory expansion). The original disk drive has been removed and the HxC is configured to emulate two disk drives. I didn't have to change the jumper settings - the HxC worked like a charm right out of the box and the Amiga "finds" drive B with no problem, for example in the Workbench. My SD card is organised with folders (games, Workbench etc.), the only files in the root directory are the AUTOBOOT.HFE and HXCSDFE.CFG files. The firmware on the HxC is V 1.8.2.40.

But there's one thing I don't understand. I am using the file selector V 1.85a and it works fine as well but after rebooting the Amiga, I can't find a way to change the disks in the slots for drive B. With the "Prev"/"Next" buttons I can only cycle through the files in the drive A slots and the AUTOBOOT.HFE but there's no way to access the files in the drive B slots. Pushing the "Enter" button shortly brings the AUTOBOOT.HFE up and lets me cycle through the drive A slots again. With a longer push on the "Enter" button the HxC leaves the file selector mode altogether and the display shows the AUTOBOOT.HFE again with "Choose a file" below it. Even then I don't have access to drive B - I have to choose a file first and then, after a longer push on the "Enter" button, the function menu appears where I have to choose the "Select a drive" topic and then switch to drive B.

So my questions are
- is there a way to access the drive B slots while the HxC is in file selector mode?
- is it possible to put the HxC back into file selector mode without rebooting the Amiga?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks a lot in advance! :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Access to drive B slots?

Post by Jeff »

siliconscientist wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:01 pm

- is there a way to access the drive B slots while the HxC is in file selector mode?
Yes : cycle the main page with the top/first line/page tittle.
EDIT: On the emulator a slot selection change both drive in the same time !
siliconscientist wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:01 pm
- is it possible to put the HxC back into file selector mode without rebooting the Amiga?
in workbench environment : this will be possible in a next version.

in game / demo : hard to do. it is maybe possible to make it resident in memory, but this sound not reliable...

siliconscientist

Post by siliconscientist »

Jeff, thank you very much for your explanations! It seems that I've used the term "file selector mode" in the wrong way... After save/reboot in the file selector, the HxC emulator lets me cycle through the slots and that's what I (wrongly) called "file selector mode". I should have called it "slot mode" or whatever... ;) I only wanted to know if I can put the emulator back into this mode without rebooting when it's in the "normal" mode (in which I have to select and insert the disks on the emulator itself). But that's not so important - the file selector itself is such a great tool and it's no problem to do a quick reboot when I want to get the emulator back to "slot mode"...
Jeff wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:08 am
EDIT: On the emulator a slot selection change both drive in the same time !
Oh, that's very good! I didn't notice this because the display on the emulator only shows what's in drive A...

A big thank you for developing those wonderful devices, Jeff!!! I have now 3 of them (in the Amiga, Oberheim DPX-1 and Emulator II) and they are just great to work (or play ;) ) with - I really love them! :D

atomicbull

Post by atomicbull »

hello siliconscientist

i have still a prob with my dpx1 and hxc floppy emulator , can you help me to get the right settings and the hxc config file ?
would be awesome!

best regards
mit musikalischem gruß
atomicbull