HxC Gotek problems with ADFs

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
czicz

HxC Gotek problems with ADFs

Post by czicz »

Hi,

I am using my Gotek HxC for at least 2 years with my A500. In general, it works, but there still are severe problems.

First i had the problem, that some ADFs won't work. Selecting different ADF versions and placing the files on different locations on the USB stick, mostly solved the problems. I also tried different USB sticks. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I just have the config files, 1 subdir and about 30 ADFs on the stick.

So after trying different ADFs, ADF-names (lenght), etc. I had some games constantly working well and was really happy. I bought an DF0: selector and an external floppy adapter at amigastore.eu, so that my Gotek worked really fine connected externally and selected as DF0:.

But here are the new problems:
after NOT using my Amiga for about 4 month, most of my ADFs won't work anymore. The file selector works fine, and some ADFs still work fine, but most of the ADFs on my USB stick end up with the amiga error "Key 880 Checksum Error" or "Not a DOS disk in unit 0".

Are the files (ADFs) corrupted? Why?
Why are others still working well?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Martin

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC Gotek problems with ADFs

Post by Jeff »

Have you updated the firmware with the latest version (3.1.10.1a today) or do you still have a two-years old firmware ?

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

Some old virus may generate these kind of problems... They are very popular in the Tosec collection :D. Can you share some of these non-working-anymore adf ?

Also : Are you "refreshing" the slots assignment (overwrite the current slot for the moved adf) when you move the files on the usb stick ?
I mean : if you remove and add again a non-working adf into slot list and save it in the file selector, is this make the adf working again ?

czicz

Post by czicz »

Hi Jeff,

I'm working with the old "beta" firmware.
I will update to the newest as soon as possible and also try your other suggestions.

Thank you very much for your fast reply!

Best regards,
Martin

czicz

Post by czicz »

Hi Jeff,

answer for you last question - "refreshing" slot assignments:
yes and no. For example: I had an generally non working adf game in a subfolder (just one subfolder under root). But this game didn't had die "checksum" or "non DOS disk" error. I moved the adf from the subfolder to root, then it worked.

I didn't check if this solution works for the "checksum" or "non DOS disk" error. These errors are pretty new. Especially, because those games did already work. Before that, a non-working adf meant, that the game simply didn't start, respectively hung up somewhere in the boot/loading process (whatever the screen displayed at that moment, it stayed for ever).

Regards,
Martin

czicz

Post by czicz »

Hi Jeff,

OK, installed the new firmware. By the way: the new file selector is much better than the old one - thank you! :-)

1. the non working ADFs did still not work.
2. re-assigning them from a new folder (e.g. root) didn't change this.

but
3. downloaded new ("fresh") version of the ADFs, and they instantly worked! :-)

So I think it could be the "virus issue".
Unfortunately, attaching a zipped ADF didn't work. "File too large". (300kB)
Is there another way, to provide you with my non-working ADF?

Merci beaucoup,
Martin

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

czicz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm
Hi Jeff,

OK, installed the new firmware. By the way: the new file selector is much better than the old one - thank you! :-)

1. the non working ADFs did still not work.
2. re-assigning them from a new folder (e.g. root) didn't change this.

but
3. downloaded new ("fresh") version of the ADFs, and they instantly worked! :-)

So I think it could be the "virus issue".
Unfortunately, attaching a zipped ADF didn't work. "File too large". (300kB)
Is there another way, to provide you with my non-working ADF?

Merci beaucoup,
Martin
Yes this sound to be a virus issue. You can send me some of them hxc2001 @ hxc2001.com
(working & non working if possible).

AW99

Post by AW99 »

Jeff wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 pm
Some old virus may generate these kind of problems... They are very popular in the Tosec collection :D.
That`s true, some TOSEC adf-files have viruses (and this story here sounds like a virus-problem). But normally this is shown then in the name of the file. All TOSEC files follow a strict name-giving-structure and when a file has something like [v and then a name (for example "saddam") in the filename, then the user should take care with this adf. :wink: It could also be, that some of the viruses on certain adf`s was not found and therefore not signed in the filename, but in my experience with the TOSEC-archiv this is seldom.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AW99 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:49 am
Jeff wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 pm
Some old virus may generate these kind of problems... They are very popular in the Tosec collection :D.
That`s true, some TOSEC adf-files have viruses (and this story here sounds like a virus-problem). But normally this is shown then in the name of the file. All TOSEC files follow a strict name-giving-structure and when a file has something like [v and then a name (for example "saddam") in the filename, then the user should take care with this adf. :wink: It could also be, that some of the viruses on certain adf`s was not found and therefore not signed in the filename, but in my experience with the TOSEC-archiv this is seldom.
i said "tosec" , but the adf can come from another collection/website.
I think that most users don't know what mean these [v] in the tosec names ;)