Load error! Read file error! when loading an .adf

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
telengard

Load error! Read file error! when loading an .adf

Post by telengard »

The adf was made using xdftool http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/amitools/.
Loads fine in UAE. Just wondering what the issue might be. I've attached the file to the post. I did notice that the generated adf is 901,121k -vs- the standard 901,120k. Is there a check in HxC against the size?

~brian
Attachments
mydisk.rar
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

AW99

Re: Load error! Read file error! when loading an .adf

Post by AW99 »

A normal standard-adf has the size 880kb. Your`s has 881kb, therefore it`s not readable.

You can also use bigger adf`s than 880kb, but the filesizes must follow the normal track-length, which means:
880kb (= 80 Tracks), then 891kb (= 81 Tracks), then 902kb (= 82 Tracks), then 913kb (= 83 Tracks).

So you see, the size jumps in steps of 11kb. But your size of 881kb is not a normal image. There is something wrong with this diskimage. You can produce new empty adf`s easily with WinUAE emulator on the PC. The emulator can produce normal standard 80Tracks-adf-images which have 880kb, or extended-adf`s which have a size of about 2MB`s. Normaly a 880kb-image is good enough.

81 or more Tracks-Images, the Emulator can not produce by itself, but such images are only needed in very seldom case. If you need such an image, you can find some of those adf`s in the TOSEC archive. Those are not empty then, because there are games on it which have more than 80 Tracks, but you can format the image with WinUAE by using for example X-Copy. There you must choose 81 Tracks then, before formatting the adf-image. Then you have an empty 81Tracks-adf-Image.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

AW99 wrote: 81 or more Tracks-Images, the Emulator can not produce by itself,
Of course it can (it support many track number for adf files). The problem here is that there 1 (One) byte more than a normal size...
For sure here xdftool produce bad adf...

AW99

Post by AW99 »

Jeff wrote:
AW99 wrote: 81 or more Tracks-Images, the Emulator can not produce by itself,
Of course it can (it support many track number for adf files). The problem here is that there 1 (One) byte more than a normal size...
For sure here xdftool produce bad adf...
I meant WinUAE with "the Emulator" and not the HxC, because in the sentences before, i spoke about WinUAE. Maybe i better should have written " ...the software-emulator can not produce by itself". :P

In my (older) WinUAE-version are only two buttons for directly creating adf`s and they named "Create Standard Floppy" (which creates a 880kb-adf) and "Create Custom Floppy" (which creates a 2MB extended-adf).

WinUAE can read from 891kb-adf`s or from 902kb-adf`s, but at least my older version of WinUAE, can not directly produce such 81Tracks-adf`s over the emulator-menü. adf-Files in such sizes are available in the TOSEC and they can be formatted and then used for own software.

AW99

Post by AW99 »

JEFF, is it possible with the "HxC Emulator Software" to create, for example, a 891kb adf-File?

I tried around with it in the last 30 minutes, but i could only produce 880kb big adf-Files. How this works, can it produce bigger adf-Images?

telengard

Post by telengard »

Issue was w/ the tool and it has been fixed.

https://github.com/cnvogelg/amitools/issues/74

thanks everyone!
~brian