AMIGA - saving on ADF / DMS?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
yerzmyey

AMIGA - saving on ADF / DMS?

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi all.

This is my first post here.
I bought 2 pieces of the HxC - one for Atari ST, another for my Amiga 500. Both versions are for connecting with PC computers.

Last times I tried to save some file on the ADF diskette's image.
Amiga "said" that the file has been put on the ADF correctly. But when next day I turned the machine on, I found that there is no file on the "disk".

Supposedly some diskettes' images (ADF?) are not designed to saving.
When one saves - Amiga will write "everything's OK" but when one turns it on next time - there will be no changes on the ADF file.
I've been told it's because the server prog on PC "saves" the changes only in PC's memory.
THEN one has to save the disk image on PC, BUT it will be in some format made especially for HxC. Supposedly it will be also readable for Amiga.

1) Can anybody explain me how to do it exactly?
2) What to use - EXPORT button or CREATE FS FLOPPY?
3) What format/extention use for Amiga?
4) What program use to copy files inside such an image from it into PC?
5) Will Amiga read later the HxC images like normal ADF/DMS files?

Sorry for lame questions but this is my first experience with HxC and I don't want only play games on the Amiga (although actually I do it all the time, haha) but also I would like to make something "creative" on the machine, using the brilliant interface.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: AMIGA - saving on ADF / DMS?

Post by Jeff »

yerzmyey wrote:Hi all.

This is my first post here.
I bought 2 pieces of the HxC - one for Atari ST, another for my Amiga 500. Both versions are for connecting with PC computers.

Last times I tried to save some file on the ADF diskette's image.
Amiga "said" that the file has been put on the ADF correctly. But when next day I turned the machine on, I found that there is no file on the "disk".

Supposedly some diskettes' images (ADF?) are not designed to saving.
When one saves - Amiga will write "everything's OK" but when one turns it on next time - there will be no changes on the ADF file.
I've been told it's because the server prog on PC "saves" the changes only in PC's memory.
THEN one has to save the disk image on PC, BUT it will be in some format made especially for HxC. Supposedly it will be also readable for Amiga.

1) Can anybody explain me how to do it exactly?
2) What to use - EXPORT button or CREATE FS FLOPPY?
3) What format/extention use for Amiga?
4) What program use to copy files inside such an image from it into PC?
5) Will Amiga read later the HxC images like normal ADF/DMS files?

Sorry for lame questions but this is my first experience with HxC and I don't want only play games on the Amiga (although actually I do it all the time, haha) but also I would like to make something "creative" on the machine, using the brilliant interface.
As said on the project page the USB HxC Floppy Emulator are read only (no write support).

yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

I see. So there is no possibility at all to save on Amiga on HFE or MFM formats?
I'm asking because I've been told it should work.
A pity 'though.

yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

You know what I mean, I'm not a coder, I'm not a hardware-guy, so I only read the stuff I find on sites.
On Yours I found:

"
- Read/Write support:
Track mode based floppy emulator (Full track pre-encoded in the image file)
>Read support: Most of existing formats (FM/MFM/Amiga track...) supported. Custom tracks supported.
>Write support: ISO MFM 256/512/1024Bytes sector write supported.
"

And a friend said me the ADF can be converted into MFM and used for saving on Amiga.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

yerzmyey wrote:You know what I mean, I'm not a coder, I'm not a hardware-guy, so I only read the stuff I find on sites.
On Yours I found:

"
- Read/Write support:
Track mode based floppy emulator (Full track pre-encoded in the image file)
>Read support: Most of existing formats (FM/MFM/Amiga track...) supported. Custom tracks supported.
>Write support: ISO MFM 256/512/1024Bytes sector write supported.
"

And a friend said me the ADF can be converted into MFM and used for saving on Amiga.
this is about the SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator and not the USB version.
and ISO MFM is not a Amiga MFM track so :

USB HxC Floppy Emulator : Read only for all targets
SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator : Read only for Amiga and Read/Write for other system (PC,Atari...)

yerzmyey wrote: And a friend said me the ADF can be converted into MFM and used for saving on Amiga.
This is wrong. Maybe on a next hardware version, but not with the actual version.

yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

I see.
Thank You for these informations.