No video output, HDD not boot

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
soopytwist

No video output, HDD not boot

Post by soopytwist »

I've connected an HxC SDF and powered up the Amiga 600HD but I've got no video output and the HDD is not booting.
If I put a formatted SD card in (FAT32) with the HXCSDFE.CFG and AUTOBOOT.HFE files on (with some .ADF disk images), the LCD says:

AUTOBOOT.HFE
T:000/084 S:0

None of the buttons do anything other than make a beep sound.

EDIT

It booted up after about five minutes of doing nothing. Now half the keys on the keyboard don't work.
This is shit, this HxC has fucked up my Amiga. What a waste of money.

norb

Re: No video output, HDD not boot

Post by norb »

Show how connected the device to the Amiga

Without hxc Amiga works well?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

He have maybe connected the floppy drive in the wrong way and have burned the whole thing (+12V instead +5V). In this case for sure he didn't read the user manual ;).

Or maybe that he have just a shitty A600 motherboard that need a complete capacitors replacement... as many A600 motherboard... -> <<It booted up after about five minutes of doing nothing>>

Or he use a shitty power supply with it's +5V line going up to 6V/7V...

For the keyboard, the flex connector was probably damaged/unplugged when the amiga was opened.

Maybe there is all the three issues in the same time.

For sure he doesn't seems to be able to diagnose the issue himself, so we will probably never know what happen... But for sure the HxC can't burn its Amiga without external help ;)

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

and to finish this topic :

i got mail from customer :

After connecting this up and setting up the SD card and powering up my Amiga 600HD some of the keys on the keyboard stopped responding then the Amiga was taking 5 minutes to boot up. Now the keyboard doesn t work at all. Your floppy emulator has ruined my Amiga that cost me £90 off eBay. Pointless keeping this emulator now since I no longer have a working Amiga. I want the money back it cost for the emulator. I d like the money back for the Amiga too since your device has damaged it. But I don t that s going to happen. I would at least like to return the emulator for a full refund (including postage).

of course he started ebay claim...

i`m so dissapointed with some people...
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

ps. Amiga looks have been modified..

so, i presume a500 disk drive was fitted as spare one.
in those drives, 12V and 5V lines are switched.

HXC itself is protected against that change.

Jeff, Your opinion ?
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

It is sure that this Amiga was defective before having the HxC. Have a look to the pictures on this thread :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82686

i agree with the general advice of the above thread : It must be seriously serviced !

There is nothing more to add i think :wink:

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

What the hell has been going on here? I am baffled by this. Here's the reply I just sent to Lotharek on eBay:

What the hell? I just asked for a refund I didn't put a claim in!! I couldn't see where on the eBay page to contact you so clicked on what I thought was a refund request. I didn't know this was making a claim.

Since no one answered my post on the HxC forum I requested a refund since it APPEARED that the HxC had damaged the Amiga in some way.
On the English Amiga boards the general consensus is that the caps have failed - as such a forum member has offered to repair the main board and have a look at the keyboard that isn't working. Once that's repaired, if it works then I'll try the HxC again.

No need to be fucking dick in your reply bellow.

@Jeff

I bought the Amiga last year, tested it and it was fine. When I got the HxC a few weeks ago I did not rest the Amiga again I just went ahead and plugged it in (with an anti-static strap attached to my wrist by the way) and was very careful when removing the floppy drive and fitting the HxC. When I switched it on I got nothing. After about 5 minutes the Amiga powered up but I found the keyboard wasn't working so I couldn't fully test the HxC (you try mounting and loading a disk image when your fucking keyboard doesn't work!).

Assuming the HxC had fried something I posted this thread but did not get any answers, I'm too old to bother with things like this so I put in the refund request, of which I thought WAS a refund request and NOT a claim. I'm not a prick, I wouldn't just put a claim in like that without asking for a refund first, which is what I thought I had done.

Since the request I posted on the English Amiga Boards hoping that perhaps there was a solution to my problem. Now there is. A forum member has offered to repair the Amiga's capacitors and take a look at the keyboard. I'll get that done and try the HxC again but shitty fucking eBay wouldn't let me cancel the refund request I guess because it was actually a claim - which I didn't know about until this shit storm on these forums!

@lotharek

Not modified, at least I haven't modified it. Like I said I bought it off eBay for £90 and was told it was in good working order and not yellowed. And they were right about that apart from the rust I found inside yesterday upon closer inspection.

*Sigh*

Well I think we've all learned a lesson here today.

So right now, I'm about to post the mainboard and keyboard off to bebek for repair then I'll try the HxC again.

@lotharek If you can cancel the refund do so, I'm not sure how to at my end I've never had to before.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

Also, I think the moral of this story is I got screwed over by the cunt that sold me the Amiga on eBay.

EDIT

Cancelled the refund request, and added this message:

I did not mean to put a claim in I only wanted a refund but then that was before I discovered the HxC most likely did not damage my Amiga. I'm having the Amiga repaired so I'm keeping the HxC.

Also just posted positive five star feedback on eBay:

Awesome device, just a shame my Amiga was defective to begin with.

My apologies for the total mess.

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

best is to start with multimeter and measure voltage pins that go to hxc.
anyway, cutting off 12volts would be good idea, as HXC doesn`t use it

on power plug to floppy You have 4 wires:

amiga 600 -- 5v, gnd,gnd,12V
amiga 500 --- 12V, gnd, gnd, 5V

if someone has broken floppy drive in ami600, he may bought ami500 disk drive and switched volategs.
why do i think so - becasue of your HXC behaviour. device acts that way when connected to over 5V volatege
it is just theory.

ps. two polite request : 1. please, calm down and use more civilised language. maybe i`m dick but honest and willing to help ;-) , 2. there is always logo at ebay :

use it :-) - HXC SUPPORT -- fastest way to get support in case needed. Please, do not expect answer from Jeff or me immedietally. We work day works, have duties.. all we done for hxc is late night work for last long years.. You asked question SATURDAY, Jeff anwered MONDAY. that is normal here. if You have used contact button, there is big chance You would be supported within 20 minutes. Right, Jeff ?

Please, read top of the page http://www.lotharek.pl - we do our best but cannot extend the day.
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

I called you a dick because you said:

i have never encountered such a unpleasant attitude.
i`m not one million dollar compoany, just single person who puts a lot o effort to his job. and Yoy jusdged all that shit.

Lets move on shall we?