How do I fit this?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
soopytwist

How do I fit this?

Post by soopytwist »

I bought the SDF HxC for an Amiga 600 I picked up last year. I need advice about how to fit it.
1. Looking at the above photo do I have the drive in the correct place?
2. Why is the IDE socket on the wrong side of the drive?

3. What is the best way to remove the plastic front bit where the floppy drive would normally be?

Thanks!

I haven't left Lotharek feedback on eBay yet because I need to know if this thing actually works but don't know how to mount it.

Arnie

Re: How do I fit this?

Post by Arnie »

The revF that you have is better suited to a big box Amiga or external floppy case. For the external case, the floppy connector is on the correct side (it is in mine).

I would seriously reconsider cutting the Amiga Case to fit this drive internally, it never looks very good and you'll just end up destroying the case. Plus you will struggle to see the LCD display and press the buttons.

But if you must, then re-route the floppy cable to the right hand side and the power cable to the left.
Set the dip switches to 1+6 for 2 floppy drive emulation.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

Had to put a hold on this project to get my mainboard repaired by bebek. I'm still struggling to fit RevF, looks I bought the wrong version. Too late now so I need fit this into an A600 somehow and still be able to see the LCD and use the buttons. Not a problem with the ribbon and power leads, I've rerouted them to fit I just have a problem with the case no longer fitting because of the drive. I'm not skilled enough to solder new buttons and the LCD some place else.

I don't know what to do.

EDIT
Arnie wrote:...Set the dip switches to 1+6 for 2 floppy drive emulation.
I don't know what that means. The instructions I downloaded only seem to be for a smaller HxC with large LCD and no buttons.

EDIT

RevC, the instructions are for RevC. I need instructions for RevF.

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

You can remove the HXC from the case and fit it directly inside the A600.
It looks like you're going to have to let someone re-route the LCD and buttons for you or learn to solder.
Most mods that I have seen place tje LCD and buttons on the top of the case.

The Instructions for the Rev C & F are the same.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

Arnie wrote:You can remove the HXC from the case and fit it directly inside the A600.
It looks like you're going to have to let someone re-route the LCD and buttons for you or learn to solder.
Most mods that I have seen place tje LCD and buttons on the top of the case.

The Instructions for the Rev C & F are the same.
1. I can't remove the tiny LCD. I removed the two small nuts and pulled the four clips back but it won't budge.
2. The instructions mention (and show in diagrams) buttons I don't have. These are my DIP switches:

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

There are 3 red buttons on the front for selecting and loading disks.

Unclip the ribbon cable for the LCD, The board removes easily with the 4 big screws removed.
Patience and care is needed for the LCD.

Set the dip switches 1&6, to on for 2 drive support, and make sure Drive b is turned on in the config file.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

Arnie wrote:There are 3 red buttons on the front for selecting and loading disks.

Unclip the ribbon cable for the LCD, The board removes easily with the 4 big screws removed.
Patience and care is needed for the LCD.

Set the dip switches 1&6, to on for 2 drive support, and make sure Drive b is turned on in the config file.
Right, okay. In the config tool I've ticked "Drive B input as Drives A and B motor ON" - if that's what you meant. "2 drives emulation" is already ticked.
But I still need to change those DIP switches, right? So I've set 6 to ON, 1 is already ON (as in the image above).

Still struggling with the LCD, I think it might be glued in.

EDIT

This. Will. Not. Come. Out.

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

You maybe right, the LCD might be glued in.
Mine is quite loose at the bottom. I didn't try too hard to remove it as I use an external case for mine.

There are LCD's that you can buy for the Slim model, maybe one of those would be a better solution for you.