Amiga lag when no SD card in HxC

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
blakespot

Amiga lag when no SD card in HxC

Post by blakespot »

When I boot off the HD into my Amiga 2000's 3.1 WB with no SD card in the HxC, I get the frequent clicking sound coming from the device but there is a dramatic lag on opening any windows or volumes on the Workbench. Might take 20 seconds of clicking to get a volume window to close. This has been the case since I installed the unit long ago, but is this normal?

I just remove SD to get HD boot going and insert it back shortly after to have WB function normally, but I'm doing WAY more insert removals of the SD card than I otherwise would, and worry about bending the pins in the card slot over time.

Or is something wrong here?

bp

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Amiga lag when no SD card in HxC

Post by Jeff »

You have a serious hardware problem... ¨Probably not directly related to the HxC.
Please replace the floppy ribbon and check that the amiga chips are well fitted on the motherboard.

blakespot

Post by blakespot »

Jeff wrote:You have a serious hardware problem... ¨Probably not directly related to the HxC.
Please replace the floppy ribbon and check that the amiga chips are well fitted on the motherboard.
Well, everything works fine from the HD, and any HxC images with boot loaders work fine, as well. Seems chips probably seated well. I will open and take a look, but I'm sure I won't find anything like that, or how else could all WHDLoad and regular WB apps work fine?

As for replacing the cable, I have the cable with a twist in it, so I need another twist cable, it would seem. If the twist cable were inappropriate for my config, then the disks with boot loaders wouldn't work, either.

Could it be other hardware?

The Amiga 2000 has:
A2620 68020+881+851+2MB 32-bit FAST RAM
ASDG Dual Serial board
GVP HC+8 Series II RAM board (w/ 4MB FAST 16-bit) + SCSI interface
Indivision IDE scandoubler
ROM switcher 3.1 / 1.3
ECS

bp

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

First, try to disable any accelerator board.

If you still have the issue :

-> Replace the autoboot.hfe by the one present on the hxc download section.
-> Disconnect the harddisk.
-> Boot a WB floppy disk from the HxC.

Did you reproduce the issue with this setup ?

blakespot

Post by blakespot »

I am trying to get this solved now -- I've got the A2000 open and cracked open the (once-glued-in) HxC board from the floppy enclosure in the A2000.

Here's a quick video of the board before I start trying the suggested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbzrTiiS5gY

Jumpers seem ok for a flipped signal cable, no? I'll follow here soon.

Thanks.

bp

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mhhh have you try to disconnect the lcd screen ?
The wires are quite long...

blakespot

Post by blakespot »

Responded in other thread. Cable has a twist, but jumper settings for no twist solved it.
Working perfectly.

bp

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I was talking about the LCD wires... Please disconnect all the wires (and remove the LCD) and check if you still have the lags.

blakespot

Post by blakespot »

The lag problem on Workbench and the "Insert volume EMPTY" problem (in my other thread) were both solved by my changing the jumper settings for emulating DF0: and DF1: both, for a cable _without_ a twist. Though there is a visible twist in my cable (which is why I set it for twisted cable settings), the no-twist settings are correct -- removed all issues.

(So, no need to remove LCD or try other techniques, as there is no longer an issue.)

Thanks.

bp