How to wire a switch to swap from real floppy to emulator?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
soopytwist

How to wire a switch to swap from real floppy to emulator?

Post by soopytwist »

If I kept my Amiga 600's real floppy drive inside and got an emulator mounted somewhere else inside the Amiga's case, how would I wire up a switch so that I can turn each device on and off?

So basically the Amiga functions normally with the floppy drive, but flick a dip switch and the floppy turns off and the emulator turns on.

Would this also work on the fly? So I could switch between the two without crashing the system or causing damage to either the emulator or the floppy drive or floppy controller on the Amiga's main board.

I've seen a project on the internet somewhere where someone mounted an SD slot under the keyboard and switch next to it to change between original floppy disk mode to emulator mode - how is this done? I need a wiring guide.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: How to wire a switch to swap from real floppy to emulato

Post by Jeff »

soopytwist wrote:If I kept my Amiga 600's real floppy drive inside and got an emulator mounted somewhere else inside the Amiga's case, how would I wire up a switch so that I can turn each device on and off?

So basically the Amiga functions normally with the floppy drive, but flick a dip switch and the floppy turns off and the emulator turns on.

Would this also work on the fly? So I could switch between the two without crashing the system or causing damage to either the emulator or the floppy drive or floppy controller on the Amiga's main board.

I've seen a project on the internet somewhere where someone mounted an SD slot under the keyboard and switch next to it to change between original floppy disk mode to emulator mode - how is this done? I need a wiring guide.
The trick is to add switches on the DS0 (wire 10) and DS1 (wire 12) wires.