amiga ipf support + write support

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
PiCiJi

amiga ipf support + write support

Post by PiCiJi »

Hi,

if i understand that right, the usb device can read ipf images but don't has write support, but the sd card device don't support ipf images but can write game data like high scores or savegames.
Thats a pity, I would be interested in both features, means like a real amiga disk drive, reading with a variable bit length and writing with a fixed bit length.

AW99

Re: amiga ipf support + write support

Post by AW99 »

No, that`s not completely correct. When you use the SD-Version of the HxC on an Amiga, then about two-thirds of the ipf-Versions work normally. And you can also save in ipf`s, for example the Highscore in Games like "Turrican 2". I know this from own experience.

The one-third of ipf`s that dont work, have copy-protections which dont work in ipf_hfe format at the moment. But this can change, when some of them will be integrated in the future. But the most ipf`s that i tested, works normally with newest firmware.

PiCiJi

Post by PiCiJi »

Thanks for information.

PiCiJi

Post by PiCiJi »

The one-third of ipf`s that dont work, have copy-protections which dont work in ipf_hfe format at the moment. But this can change, when some of them will be integrated in the future. But the most ipf`s that i tested, works normally with newest firmware.
Is supporting this one-third of ipf's a matter of firmware only ?

AW99

Post by AW99 »

PiCiJi wrote:
Is supporting this one-third of ipf's a matter of firmware only ?
Good question. If it is possible, to integrate all kinds of the different copy-protections (which ipf`s have) in the hfe-format, is a question, that only JEFF can answer to 100 percent.

On the other hand, you can play ALL Amiga games anyway, because you can also use adf`s, which dont have such copy-protections.

PiCiJi

Post by PiCiJi »

I don't like adfs. There are a lot of bad cracked games out there means bugs, removed contents or loading errors of higher game levels.

AW99

Post by AW99 »

PiCiJi wrote:I don't like adfs. There are a lot of bad cracked games out there means bugs, removed contents or loading errors of higher game levels.
I can not confirm by personal experiences, that there are "a lot" of bad cracks around. Since i am a child, i play cracked Amiga games (everybody did this in the 90`s) and i played alot of this games very far and some completely to the end. It was really seldom, that one of this cracks produced a bug that means you can`t go on playing, back then or nowadays when i play in WinUAE.

If i, or some of my friends, found such a crack at that times (which happens really not often), we sorted it out and searched for a working crack by another cracking-crew for this game. Nearly all the time, it could be found then. And now, where all cracks can be found in the TOSEC-Archiv and where lots of players worldwide play them in software-emulators or floppy-emulators, it is even more seldom that some has big errors. Sometimes this would even be written in the TOSEC-Filename of this crack then, so that it is obvious and then some other cracking-crews can fix the release and this happened in some cases. Even today some new cracks came out, from "Wanted Team" for example.

All of the most famous Amiga-Games had definately a completely working crack. Maybe there are some games which are not much known, that had this bug-problem, but for all games i played in the past until higher levels, i had a working adf-version. So playing adf`s is not a problem in my opinion. But like i wrote before, two-thirds of ipf`s also work at the moment and the chance that for a certain game

- no working ipf-version exists

and

- all different crack-versions of this game has errors

is really rare. In the whole, i am sure, you will find a working version (ipf or adf) for every game you want to play.