DF0 & DF1 issue

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
mcSDHXC

DF0 & DF1 issue

Post by mcSDHXC »

Hi

If I load a disk image into each slot and then F7 reboot, hold down both mouse buttons and boot into WBon my HDD (DH0), WB only sees the disk in DF0. There is no reference to DF1. Also, I do not get the 'Select a drive' option on the SDHxC screen. HxC works flawlessly as DF0:

I also have a external floppy attached to the disk drive port and WB sees this as DF1.

Jumper settings are set as per the manual (I assume they are the right way around and not inverted as DF0 works)

How can I get my A1200 to recognise the HxC as DF0: and DF1: and my floppy drive as DF2:?

The forum won't allow me to attach my AutoBoot and HXCSDFE files.

Thanks

Arnie

Re: DF0 & DF1 issue

Post by Arnie »

Does the HXC DF1: appear if you boot with If the external drive disconnected?

mcSDHXC

Post by mcSDHXC »

Arnie wrote:Does the HXC DF1: appear if you boot with If the external drive disconnected?

Yes. If I remove the external floppy I can see HxC as DF0 and DF1 in WB

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mcSDHXC wrote:
Arnie wrote:Does the HXC DF1: appear if you boot with If the external drive disconnected?

So the external drive is also at DF1 ?

mcSDHXC

Post by mcSDHXC »

Jeff wrote:
mcSDHXC wrote:

The externa floppy drive does not work if the HXC is plugged in. With my Gotek plugged into the internal port the floppy works perfectly as DF1

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mcSDHXC wrote:
Jeff wrote:
mcSDHXC wrote:
The externa floppy drive does not work if the HXC is plugged in. With my Gotek plugged into the internal port the floppy works perfectly as DF1
Sorry but this wasn't the question : Is your external drive set to DF1 ? If it does, this is not a surprise that this doesn't work : You have set the HxC to DF0 & DF1, the external drive is set to DF1. I think that the conflict problem is obvious and this just can't work ;)
You have to change the HxC OR the external drive setting.
the "gotek" can emulate only one drive (DF0) so... ;)

mcSDHXC

Post by mcSDHXC »

The external floppy does not appear to have a switch that allows me to select which drive it is.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for your help Jeff but I have now sold my HXC as although it is a nice piece of kit I just couldn't get it to work as I wanted and found it complicated to set up and use. I recently received a Gotek which does what I need so I have installed that instead.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

:?: Quite unlogical ... So you take an buggy/ripped emulator not able to emulate 2 drives and not having lcd cause you couln't get the 2 drive of the hxc working ?

For sure there is jumper inside your external drive and you can also set the drive B HxC to DF2 by moving one jumper. What is hard to understand here ? You can't make work 2 drives on the same ID in the same time. And this rule is not HxC related....

AW99

Post by AW99 »

mcSDHXC wrote:How can I get my A1200 to recognise the HxC as DF0: and DF1: and my floppy drive as DF2:?
You sadly sold your HxC, but the answer to this would have been simple.

As normal Amiga-external-diskfloppys don`t have own jumpers to give them an ID, you can solve this by simply connect two external floppys and only use the second one, which is then automatically DF2.

The first external diskfloppy dont recognize, that the ID "DF1" is already used by the second emulated floppy of the HxC and give itself also DF1. This then means, that both DF1-floppys dont work correctly, because of overlapping.

Normally you only need a real diskfloppy together with the HxC, when you want to copy between real disks and disk-images. Therefore, when you want to copy between real disks and diskimages (hfe's) with the HxC, you should connect two external diskfloppys and then only use DF0 (HxC) and DF2 (second external Floppy), then it works perfectly also with verify-on. Dont use any of the DF1 floppys for copying then.

As an alternative to this, you can also set the jumpers on HxC that it emulates only one drive. Then you need to connect only one external diskfloppy for copying. But i dont recommend this. Then you must all the time set the jumpers to another position when you want to copy, because normally the people use the HxC with two drives emulated (DF0 and DF1). Better is, connecting two diskfloppys and let them be connected all the time. If you dont need the external floppys (if you dont want to copy between disks and images), simply turn them Off. All external Amiga-Floppys have an On/Off-Switch on the backside and when they are turned-Off, then they dont have any influence on the HxC. Also the emulated DF1 of the HxC is not influenced, when the external DF1-floppy is turned-Off. So the two floppys can be connected all the time, just need to be turned-Off of turned-On when you need them. In my experience this is the best way, i do it like this for years.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The easiest way is just to disable the drive B on the HxC.

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi guys,

I have similar problem, I hope you can help me troubleshooting.

This is Escom Amiga 1200 with escom floppy-fix undone + Slim HxC, latest available firmware so far. HxC is configured to emulate just one drive DF0 (jumper selection - just position 1 is on) and it works very well when no external floppy connected. Once external floppy is connected and Amiga rebooted DF0 disapears (I cannot see it in kickstart's boot options), DF1 is there and it's working fine (it's an external drive of course)..

I don't really understand what can be wrong with this configuration.. Can you help me troubleshooting this?

Thank you!
K

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos wrote:Hi guys,

I have similar problem, I hope you can help me troubleshooting.

This is Escom Amiga 1200 with escom floppy-fix undone + Slim HxC, latest available firmware so far. HxC is configured to emulate just one drive DF0 (jumper selection - just position 1 is on) and it works very well when no external floppy connected. Once external floppy is connected and Amiga rebooted DF0 disapears (I cannot see it in kickstart's boot options), DF1 is there and it's working fine (it's an external drive of course)..

I don't really understand what can be wrong with this configuration.. Can you help me troubleshooting this?

Thank you!
K
There is probably something wrong with this external drive. Impossible to me to know what without having it here.