Amiga 1000 settings for File Select Mode

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Kevgal

Amiga 1000 settings for File Select Mode

Post by Kevgal »

G'day I have installed the Slim SD adaptor int my Amiga 1000 but the only way I can get it to work is in Indexed Mode.
I use Kick Start 1.3 as DSKA0000, followed by Game A as DSKA0001 then Game B as DSKA0002 etc.

If I use the HXC AUTOBOOT.HFE as DSK0001 the file manager starts but freezes.

Can it run in File Select Mode? If so what should the Kick Start 1.3, AUTOBOOT.HFE and subsequent games be titled and what should be ticked in the HXCSDFE.CFG settings app?
Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Amiga 1000 settings for File Select Mode

Post by Jeff »

This should work. How the software freeze ?

Kevgal

Post by Kevgal »

Thanks Jeff. One problem solved, faulty ribbon cable! The only thing worse than a cable that doesn't work is one that partially works!
The problem now is I want to put folders from A to Z containing games. So I get to the point where I can load game A from folder Z and play the game.
However if I power cycle the Amiga it won't start because the HXC CFG is corrupted. It's as if it's stuck in folder Z where there are no DSKA000... Files or AUTOBOOT files or startupA files. Even if I put them in there it won't work. The only way I can fix this is to over write the corrupted HXC.CFG file with a previous working one. BTW un-selecting 'load last loaded floppy' makes no difference.
I am forced to use indexed mode due to the Kick Start bios needing to load first.
If I set the Kick Start bios as a power on AUTOBOOT then index mode won't work and I can't start the file manager.
How can I stop the HCX.CFG file getting 'stuck' in a folder?

I also can't get drive B to appear in the work bench. I have set switch 1 and 6 to 'on' for DF0 and DF1, is this correct? I am using a straight ribbon cable.
Thanks

Kevgal

Post by Kevgal »

G'day problem solved in a way.
1. SD card contains Kick Start as DSKA0000, File Manager as DSKA0001, HXC.CFG (with ONLY indexed mode enabled) and folders containing games.
2. Power on Amiga - it starts Kick Start and asks for Workbench- press button to go to DSKA0001 (2 beeps) - File manager starts.
3. Add File Manager (DSKA0001) to disk A and B of every slot from 2 to 15.
4. Add Game Abc from folder xyz to Disk A of slot 1
5. Save configure. , restart , play game.
6. This is where things change. File manager has overwritten the HXC.CFG. It is no longer editable from the windows configurator! Maybe long file names or folders do this? Anyway when the Amiga is now turned on there are now the extra slots available. When the button is pressed the results are (after Kick start has loaded) Slot 1 will be loaded (2beeps) which will be the game abc from folder xyz. Press the button again for slot 2 (3 beeps or 4beeps for slot 3 etc.) for the file manager. Don't go past the last saved Slot!
7. Make a backup of the HXC.CFG to avoid having to do this again! the black button won't cycle through the slots. If you go past the last slot saved it freezes and it won't work again until the HXC.CFG file is restored/recreated

Is there a better Way?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kevgal wrote: Is there a better Way?
Yes i think. Can you share you kickstart HFE file ?

Kevgal

Post by Kevgal »

G'day Jeff the version of KS I'm using is
Kickstart-Disk v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A100).adf
Should I be using a different version?
Where can I upload it?
Thanks for your time.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I have found some KS v2.0 with a file system. Do you think that you can use them ? If yes you have just to add the hxc software to the image.

Kevgal

Post by Kevgal »

G'day Jeff, I have a variety of KS V2.0, which one works with Amiga 1000? how do I add the HxC Software to the image?
Thanks.