Firmware Differences V1.8.4.2a > V1.8.6.14 / Write flags

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
PARALAX

Firmware Differences V1.8.4.2a > V1.8.6.14 / Write flags

Post by PARALAX »

I didn't update my HxC Firmware for more than 1 year. Is there any considerable difference between this versions on Amiga and if yes, is there any changelog? What have been enhanced between this versions? - Most games and demos seems to run perfectly but there are still some issues with writing some custom tracks (e.g. Highscores on Original version of "Pinball Fantasies" and "Turrican") or 82 track disks (e.g. Highscores on "The Games - Summer Edition" which will be saved after track 80). Did the compatibility being raised or decreased (any feedback from other HxC users)?

Furthermore it's still not possible to write protect the disks via flag "write_allowed" inside the HFE's as it's not included in the GUI of the boot disks. Are this features planned in near future?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Differences V1.8.4.2a > V1.8.6.14 / Write flags

Post by Jeff »

PARALAX wrote:I didn't update my HxC Firmware for more than 1 year. Is there any considerable difference between this versions on Amiga and if yes, is there any changelog? What have been enhanced between this versions? - Most games and demos seems to run perfectly but there are still some issues with writing some custom tracks (e.g. Highscores on Original version of "Pinball Fantasies" and "Turrican") or 82 track disks (e.g. Highscores on "The Games - Summer Edition" which will be saved after track 80). Did the compatibility being raised or decreased (any feedback from other HxC users)?

Furthermore it's still not possible to write protect the disks via flag "write_allowed" inside the HFE's as it's not included in the GUI of the boot disks. Are this features planned in near future?

The V1.8.4.2a > V1.8.6.14 difference are related to some IO timing improvement.

The >80 write support is done with the new software: It add some empty track to the HFE.

Yes good idea about the write protect flag into the GUI software, this is a good place :).

PARALAX

Post by PARALAX »

I've tested the latest Firmware, Manager- & Export Software now and reflashed the old Firmware back after noting that obviosly nothing have changed for me. All Games & Demos still seems to work but those which failed with the old version still doesn't work. Highscores from the Original Version of "Pinball Fantasies" is still not saved correctly as the highscore table is empty after rebbot. Same for Turrican 1 & 2: No highscore saving with the original version (converted from IPF). All tested games run fine while loading as they only use longtracks and no variable bitrate but they use a special format for saving the score with the HxC still can handle correcly. The interesting thing is that the highscore saver work at least for "Turrican 2" with my old beta firmware version V1.8.4.2a but not with the current. I've send you the concerned files to your e-mail address.

Too bad that the current version of Amiga Filemanager is still not able to sort the HFE's files alphabetical. If you add another file it will be listed at the end of all files in the same directory. This can only be solved by formatting the SD card or deleting all files in the concerned directory and copy them back to SD card. There should be an autosort function in future together with a function to write enable/disable the disk by changing the write-flag in the HFE files directly as the (hoping) future versions of the disk conversion software.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

PARALAX wrote: Too bad that the current version of Amiga Filemanager is still not able to sort the HFE's files alphabetical. If you add another file it will be listed at the end of all files in the same directory. This can only be solved by formatting the SD card or deleting all files in the concerned directory and copy them back to SD card. There should be an autosort function in future together with a function to write enable/disable the disk by changing the write-flag in the HFE files directly as the (hoping) future versions of the disk conversion software.
There is some tools available for this :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... rter#p8445
http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en

BTW The ST and CPC file selector was enhanced by some clever guys some years ago :
http://sourceforge.net/p/hxcfloppyemu/c ... _selector/
But stranglely 0 contribution from the Amiga community. Is there any developer on Amiga ?

Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

Jeff wrote:But stranglely 0 contribution from the Amiga community. Is there any developer on Amiga ?
Though it may seem that way, my disk selector project is not dead - only sleeping. :)

The fact that the same software can now be used to manage both HxC and Gotek drives has certainly given me new motivation for picking up the project again. Maybe I should get myself a Gotek now, just to get ADF support. ;)

And yes, it will support sorting. Write protection control is also a good idea that I will keep in mind.