Using a real external floppy in combination with HxC

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Artie Stolks

Using a real external floppy in combination with HxC

Post by Artie Stolks »

I got a question regarding the usage of a real external drive in combination with the HxC Slim.

I configured the Hxc with Dipswitch 1 and 6 to on. This means DF0: and DF1: equals to the emulator. If i´m using an external drive now it´s clear to me that i have to switch the DF1: option off in the 1.8a Floppy Image selector software. Sadly this doesn´t work. The external drive isn´t working properly. It seems like that there is a conflict between the two of them. I thought that switching off DF1: within the manager software makes the external drive to work. This doesn´t seem to happen. Please elaborate, i´ll appreciate it. Thank you!

This hardware is really great and i´m flattered owning one of this fine devices. :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Using a real external floppy in combination with HxC

Post by Jeff »

Try to move the external drive to DF2 !

Artie Stolks

Post by Artie Stolks »

How can i do that?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Artie Stolks wrote:How can i do that?
Just change the jumper setting of your floppy drive.

gonk23

Post by gonk23 »

Turning HxC DIP switch 6 off might work, but I assume the HxC is mounted internally so it's not something you can conveniently turn on and off?

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Jeff wrote:
Hi Artie, it seems I have same problem.. Can you tell us whether you resolved this? I dont have an option on external floppy drive to change drive ID other than 0 and 1.. And to be hones.. why this is required since df0 on HxC and DF1 on real externl drive shouldn't be in conflict at all?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Hi Artie, it seems I have same problem.. Can you tell us whether you resolved this? I dont have an option on external floppy drive to change drive ID other than 0 and 1.. And to be hones.. why this is required since df0 on HxC and DF1 on real externl drive shouldn't be in conflict at all?
But sure it conflict. The external drive is set to DF1 isn't it ?

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Hi Jeff! Thanks for your reply. Yes, external is set to DF1. Not sure how this should be in conflict as HxC Slim is set only with jumper 1 ON.

But I've made another test and it's kind of weird. As far as I know Slim has capability to emulate two drives. So disconnected external drive completely, I set jumpers 1 and 6 to ON positions and I can see that only drive A (DF0) is running well. Drive B (DF1) is not visible in ROM boot menu or WorkBench. No matter what I will assign to drive B in HxC Boot Manager. Any ideas, Jeff? Do I miss anything important? I will just highlight that this is A1200 with Escom floppy fix applied.

Thank you again and kind regards,
Kokos

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos wrote: I will just highlight that this is A1200 with Escom floppy fix applied.
That's the issue. Please revert these modifications...

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Jeff wrote:
Kokos wrote: I will just highlight that this is A1200 with Escom floppy fix applied.
Thanks Jeff, but can you explain what is this floppy fix modification's impact on using few disk drives? If I remove this I won't be able to run NDOS floppies. This is why you advised to apply this floppy fix in first place for HxC.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kokos wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Thanks Jeff, but can you explain what is this floppy fix modification's impact on using few disk drives? If I remove this I won't be able to run NDOS floppies. This is why you advised to apply this floppy fix in first place for HxC.
What i mean is to remove the "fix"/modification done by Escom. It seems that this is already done ?

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

OK, now I understand. Yes, Escom modification is removed (fixed), everything works with one HxC drive emulation, including NDOS disks. Two drive emulation is not working for me, only one drive is visible and accessible.

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

I have this problem now. My HxC is mounted inside my A600 with DIP switches 1-6 on. I need to transfer some files from floppy using an external drive that is hardwired as DF1, to the HDD and then copy those files to the "empty" .hfe I've got saved on the SD card. I already did this several days ago before fitting the HxC but now it's too late. The external drive appears to be in synch with the HxC, i.e they buzz together.

Do I just need to flick those DIP switches back to 1 on and 5-6 off? Setting second drive off in the config wouldn't make any difference since I don't have the SD card in the HxC yet.

EDIT

Yes, setting DIPs 5-6 off and 1 on let's me use my external drive. Pain the backside though having to open her up every time. If I have to unscrew it any more times I'm not going to have any plastic left to screw into.