ID0A (1) ON should enable DF0 right?
ID1A (2) OFF
ID2A (3) OFF
ID3A (4) OFF

ID0B (5) OFF
ID1B (6) ON should enable DF1 right?
ID2B (7) OFF
ID3B (8) OFF

I have 2 real amiga external floppy drives connected and turned on as well (I will need to be able to have atleast one ext floppy drive since I plan to create real floppies using HxC and Floppy)

My HXCSDFE.CFG file:

this file I edited using the provided hxc windows software...

Based on DF0 cfg file

Has indexed mode enabled

Has auto ? enabled

everything else not enabled

The files on the 32 MB NOKIA MMC CARD are:

HXCSDFE.CFG
DSKA0000.HFE
DSKA0001.HFE
DSKA0002.HFE
DSKA0003.HFE
DSKA0004.HFE
DSKA0005.HFE
DSKA0006.HFE
DSKB0000.HFE
DSKB0001.HFE
DSKB0002.HFE
DSKB0003.HFE
DSKB0004.HFE
DSKB0005.HFE
DSKB0006.HFE

the "next" button on my HxC slim works... but only for images DSKA0000.HFE to DSKA0006.HFE (Only for DF0)

none of the images named DSKB0000.HFE to DSKB0006.HFE (DF1) seems to load/work on my HxC

the HxC slim is connected using the exact same wires (direct-floppy cable and floppy power cable) that were previously used for connecting a real internal amiga floppy drive...

Am I overlooking some setting in the CFG file or some jumper setting on the board or something completely different ?

Arnie

Re: Unable to emulate DF0 and DF1 at the same time on HxC sl

Post by Arnie »

Is the DF1 button enabled in the menu? (Amiga Side, not Windows)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Arnie wrote:Is the DF1 button enabled in the menu? (Amiga Side, not Windows)

He doesn't use the menu (i don't know why...) but his files is working well here.

This is maybe a floppy cable problem (twisted ?)

CBMFreak

Post by CBMFreak »

I will try to see if the DF1 button works in the menu.

I have been able to put images in DF1 slots in the menu, but at that time my board was only jumped as df0 so it ignored the df1 slots.
I havent tried this after I changed the jumper settings to enable ID for both df0 and df1.

I will try this and also try it without the external drives. I have read somewhere that sometimes additional real external drives can give issues with HxC.

The reason I don't wish to use the selection software is that I have a LOT of 32 MB MMC cards :D ... And I want to be able to store as many images as possible on each card.
Also... I like just being able to put files on the card and then use the card instead of using a manu on the Amiga.

Also if this gets working then I plan to create either a web application or a windows application that can keep track of the indexed files on the MMC cards.
(With this application I plan to make it possible to add/remove/move around files between slots 1-15 and drives df0 and df1 and use a small data file to stores the real names of the indexed files)

Since I am forced to convert each image to a 2,1 MB file instead of just using the 880 kb ADF file directly :( ,
then it matters significantly for me that the file selecter uses up 2,1 MB on my 32 MB MMC card.

I am using a non twisted cable, I use the same floppy cable for the HxC as I used for the real df0 drive it replaced.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CBMFreak wrote: I will try this and also try it without the external drives. I have read somewhere that sometimes additional real external drives can give issues with HxC.
if you mess with the drive id & jumpers, yes you may have conflit, exactly as with an normal floppy...
CBMFreak wrote: The reason I don't wish to use the selection software is that I have a LOT of 32 MB MMC cards :D ... And I want to be able to store as many images as possible on each card.
Also... I like just being able to put files on the card and then use the card instead of using a manu on the Amiga.

Also if this gets working then I plan to create either a web application or a windows application that can keep track of the indexed files on the MMC cards.
(With this application I plan to make it possible to add/remove/move around files between slots 1-15 and drives df0 and df1 and use a small data file to stores the real names of the indexed files)

Since I am forced to convert each image to a 2,1 MB file instead of just using the 880 kb ADF file directly :( ,
then it matters significantly for me that the file selecter uses up 2,1 MB on my 32 MB MMC card.

I am using a non twisted cable, I use the same floppy cable for the HxC as I used for the real df0 drive it replaced.
whoo all this mess cause of a 32MB SD? It's maybe time to take a 10$ 4GB SD isn't it ;)

The HFE bring more possibilities than these raw/sector file format, and i don't consider 2MB too much big. Some others hardwares use 11MB-32MB space per image... ;)

I sent to you a new firmware by email. Did you have received it ? Have you tried it ?

CBMFreak

Post by CBMFreak »

I got the email and the new firmware+software .. I haven't tried it yet .. but I will try to find time to test it today.

I will try to test if the current firmware works with 2 virtual drives with File selector mode after I had set the jumpers correctly.

So far I have only tried indexed mode after settings the jumpers correctly.

Does the file selecter software on amiga have access to settings not stored in the config file? I saw something about being able to enable/disable DF1 in the file selector software?

After that I will update firmware and test support for df0 and df1 with indexed mode and then file selector mode.

I like the indexed mode because it allows me to configure mmc cards using windows :) I have lots of larger SD cards..

But I wanted to use my MMC cards because they fit so well in size for storing a few amiga disc images / HFE images

The windows tool I am thinking of creating would be just as much for the fun of it :)

CBMFreak

Post by CBMFreak »

Ok, so I got a little time this weekend so I continued testing...

I found out that if I do not connect any external drives then the current firmware works with both df0 and df1 when using the menu... I have not yet tried indexed mode without external drives connected.. but I suspect it will work... So no need for me to use the firmware update I guess.

I wondered if I reconnected to internal drive and jump it to be df2 then I guess it would work with the hxc... also I could maybe open one of my external floppy drives and jump it to be df3, that would might be my cdtv external floppy drive since I normally always use it as df3 anyway...

It could be nice though if the hxc could emulate df2 and df3 also then I could jump my cdtv external drive to be df3 and then enable it only when I needed a physical drive.

note: my cdtv external drive works fine on both cdtv amiga, amiga 500 and amiga 1200.

are there any new features in the firmware you emailed me?

EDIT: an additional question...

I want to connect the original internal floppy drive in my a1200 as df2... I have set its drive selector jumper to df2 on the back (DS2 - disk select = 2 (can be 0, 1, 2 or 3))

If I connect the HxC and the floppy drive in the following way, will that then Work as expected (with my current non-upgraded firmware) ?

HxC acting as DF0 and DF1 (jumped like this: 3 and 8 enabled, the rest <1,2,4,5,6,7> disabled)
||//|| (twisted part of pc floppy cable)
||||||
Internal drive jumped as DF2
|||||| (non twisted part of pc floppy cable)
||||||
floppy connector on amiga 1200 mainboard
||
||
external amiga floppy internally jumped as DF3

will the above setup allow me to get 2 real floppies and 2 emulated floppies?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have you updated the firmware ?

CBMFreak

Post by CBMFreak »

I have not yet updated the firmware, since it works with the current firmware when I don't have external floppy drives connected.
I suspect that it is because the external floppy drives are jumped to act as df1 internally or something similar.

I can always put some drive number selection switches on my external drives.
Perhaps I will also mount a floppy internally in the amiga as the df2 drive.

And until then I can just use HxC as DF0 when needing to copy stuff to and from real floppy drives.

What are the changes in the firmware you emailed me compared to the one I am currently using?