How do I connect a SD Floppy Emulator Rev F - 3,5" to a CD32

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Mark Thompson

How do I connect a SD Floppy Emulator Rev F - 3,5" to a CD32

Post by Mark Thompson »

The SD Floppy Emulator Rev F - 3,5" floppy drive substitute looks like it's meant to be as an external replacement solution and I'm wondering if this can be connected to an Amiga CD32 via an SX-1 which I have, but what cable do I need as well as where can I buy one? I'm only asking this because the SX-1 has an edge connector and there's no way of connecting a ribbon cable to inside the SX-1.

Arnie

Re: How do I connect a SD Floppy Emulator Rev F - 3,5" to a

Post by Arnie »

The SX1 should have an external port for the floppy drive. You will need an external floppy drive case or circuit board with the leads to attach the Slim.

See my other post http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1265

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Yes it has an external port and I'm guessing I could use the case from an old external floppy disk drive to connect it since it's long since stopped working anyway, but maybe I should've thought of this in the first place though I've seen your thread before you seem to be having an ongoing problem. I thought it would've been straightforward as long as I can read from and write to it I'll be happy.

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

I solved the problem, I can read and write OK. I can't get the slim to emulate the 2 drives (DF0/DF1) but, I can live with it :wink:

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Arnie, that's good to know and also for the slim version being cheaper than the one I put in the subjectline the only problem is that there's no case but maybe I'll be able to put it in the external floppy drive case when I open it up. I'm glad judging by the photographs you posted that there doesn't appear to be any soldering required because I'm not very good at soldering and I thank you

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Arnie, I opened-up my external floppy drive, but unfortunately unlike as shown in your photographs the number of pins on the board are the same as on the lead and that goes for the ribbon lead leading from the board into the back of the floppy drive so I guess that I'll have to lookout for a solution. I recommend this for powering your external floppy emulator because it's got a floppy power lead:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... cts_id=866

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

All external floppy drives get their power from the external floppy port. No need for a power source.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

Of course, sorry I must've got confused when I looked at that extra lead in your photographs, but I also have an external double-disk drive and that needs power from a supplied AC adapter though I guess that needs more power because of the extra disk drive. I've also found that lotharek sells the slim in a case too so I just have to hope now the right external floppy drive case or circuit shows-up

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

I would go for a working external drive personally. I bought a circuit once and it didn't work. If you buy the complete drive then you can plug it into the sx1 and check if it's working before you install the slim.

I have a dual drive and both drives are powered from the external port.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

The only problem is it could turn out to have the same circuit board as the one in my non-working external drive where the number of pins on the board are only the same as on the connecting lead but judging by the circuit board in your photographs it looks as though it was housed in a bigger case so I guess if I go for one in a bigger case then I'll get the right connections. That's interesting about not needing extra power for your dual drive because mine has a power connector on the back, but I haven't used it for a while so I guess maybe it's if your Amiga has expansions and it isn't able to draw enough power especially with an SX-1 I think I needed it.

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Well more power can't hurt.

Every (3) external drive that I bought has the same connectors, so you should get the right one.

One was a Power Computing drive, the other was a Cumana and the last was unknown.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

I noticed the circuit board in your photographs only connects side-on as opposed to flat-down and I'm guessing that the former is found in the bigger-cased drives with the latter in the slim-cased drives, but I'm only interested in the slim-cased drives because that way it looks as if it'll fit in the cased version of the slim with the slim being flat-down as well. I must've an uncommon drive.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

I've also seen an enclosed slim with a ZIF connector I don't know if that'd be easier, but I'll plump for the regular connector.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson »

I should've known better because I can't find any prices on the page and I imagine if I asked then a higher price would be given using technical details as an excuse that not everybody would understand so that should've been a warning sign to me. I've just bought a cased slim and it's well-worth the price so I'm looking forward to it. I'll try to take pics with my laptop of my external drive connector

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

On a german Amiga forum someone have just post a tutorial to include the drive in an external case :

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41059