Amiga changing disks from Workbench proof of concept

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
SavourySnaX

Amiga changing disks from Workbench proof of concept

Post by SavourySnaX »

Hi,

First of all, thank you for this amazing device. Thanks to the fact the floppy selector sources are on SVN, I was able to put together this quick proof of concept of selecting files while in workbench without rebooting. Proof of concept video is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWl3mThzkU

Apologies for the shaky nature of things, I had the phone in one hand and too much coffee :) Also the intuition window is a bit of a hack (hence the artifacts). It needs cleaning up and support for paging the screen adding (at present it only lists the first 17 files in a directory) ..

Lee

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Amiga changing disks from Workbench proof of concept

Post by Jeff »

Very nice ! :D

Do you have a sourcforge account ? ;)

By curiosity which development environnement are you using ?

SavourySnaX

Post by SavourySnaX »

Thanks.

I don't have a sourceforge account - but I can create one, be sometime next week I suspect.

I need to at least clean up the places where i hacked things out (I had to remove the original gui - something about it was causing GURUs on exit - so i chopped it all out and substituted the one in the video). Mostly its just adding some code to lock the device and adding some code to free things on exit.

I`m using AmiDevCpp (http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de/) and a CF card to copy the resultant bin to my amiga.. (this is a painful way to do things frankly, but saved me farting around getting gcc up and running on the amiga).

Anyway, I`ll let you know when i've created an account in case you want to take the modifications.

Lee

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

SavourySnaX wrote:
I`m using AmiDevCpp (http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de/) and a CF card to copy the resultant bin to my amiga.. (this is a painful way to do things frankly, but saved me farting around getting gcc up and running on the amiga).
Interesting, i will try AmiDevCpp next time.

I fully understand about gcc on the amiga: i am also working with crosstools on pc to develop on ST & Amiga & CPC too ;)
I don't use CF but an USB HxC Floppy Emulator : The PC makefile automatically mount the image to the Amiga/ST.
Very convenient :) .

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

This looks very promising. If it works then the slim will be much improved.

Keep up the great work Jeff and SavourySnaX 8)

SavourySnaX

Post by SavourySnaX »

Quick update,

What I plan to do this weekend is put together a basic command line version of the application (so you can list directories, list slots, and select images into slots etc). With the command line version done, I can then investigate putting together a gui - the primary motivation behind this method is keeps the amount of modifications to the floppy selector at a minimum and would potentially allow a dopus plugin or similar to be knocked up quickly.

It may be possible to get the fullscreen floppy selector gui stable enough to have that available - it depends on if I can motivate myself to find the problem with the shutdown when under workbench.

Lee

Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Let me know if you need a tester for the slim, I have a Amiga 500, 600 & 1200 to test it on.

Votality

Post by Votality »

Hi SavourySnaX,

Great work! Amy chance of getting a copy of the source as is?

QkiZ

Post by QkiZ »

Bump! There is a chance to get copy of this software?

Kokos

Post by Kokos »

SavourySnaX wrote:Quick update,

What I plan to do this weekend is put together a basic command line version of the application (so you can list directories, list slots, and select images into slots etc). With the command line version done, I can then investigate putting together a gui - the primary motivation behind this method is keeps the amount of modifications to the floppy selector at a minimum and would potentially allow a dopus plugin or similar to be knocked up quickly.

It may be possible to get the fullscreen floppy selector gui stable enough to have that available - it depends on if I can motivate myself to find the problem with the shutdown when under workbench.

Lee
Hi SavourySnaX!

Is this application released already? I can say lot of people would find it very handy! Please give us some response! Thanks.

K

Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Have you gotten anywhere with this? Would be super useful!

Graham