Question about Floppy Emulator and Amiga500

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
Nodoyuna

Question about Floppy Emulator and Amiga500

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi all

I'm new here... I've ordered one Floppy Drive Emulator (SD version, no USB) which should arriver soon, for use it on my Amiga 500 computer.

I've seen photos of the device running, videos etc, but in all of them, the device is connected out of the computer, I mean with the case open

My question is: should I be able to just replace the Amiga500 floppy drive with the emulator, close the computer case and still be able to use the floppy emulator?

In that case, the SD would be accesible through the space usually reserved to insert the diskettes in the computer?

Thanks in advance... I hope I've explained ok
robert2098

Post by robert2098 »

Yes, that is possible. The PCB has holes so you can screw the PCB on the two poles where normally the floppy drive is resting.

The SD cart and the buttons are then accessibly through the drive opening. You might need to cut out some plastic to reach the SD card & buttons if you have a small opening (opening just for the disk) instead a a full floppy drive opening.

The PCB is a little shorter than a real floppy. So the distance between the floppy connector on the PCB and the motherboard is then a bit longer. I don't know how long the Amiga floppy cable is, but hopefully it is long enough. Else you have to replace or extend the floppy cable.

One problem though is the display. You can't see the display if it is inside the computer's case but the display can be relocated elsewhere. So you can cut a hole in the computer for the display and run some wires from the PCB to the display. (B.t.w. you can add extra buttons parallel to those on the PCB so you can place the buttons on a more convenient place as well.)

The SD floppy emulator works also without display. The current active disk image can also be selected via software on the computer. However, at the moment there is only an Atari ST version of that software.
So at the moment, when using an Amiga, you need the display to select a disk image (unless you can blindly find the image by pressing the buttons
:lol: )

Robert