What am I doing wrong ?

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
mal

What am I doing wrong ?

Post by mal »

I have an HxC2001 which I'm using on two Amiga 500s but they both have the same problem (one KS1.2 the other KS2.0). In AutoBoot mode the selector appears but when I select a converted ADF file I just get the Amiga Kickstart insert disk screen. The HxC2001 clicks as if the Amiga is polling it but it never boots.

Basically the AUTOBOOT.HFE works but any HFEs I create are ignored. Could I be making a mistake in the ADF/HFE conversion ?

Thanks in advance

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: What am I doing wrong ?

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 pm
I have an HxC2001 which I'm using on two Amiga 500s but they both have the same problem (one KS1.2 the other KS2.0). In AutoBoot mode the selector appears but when I select a converted ADF file I just get the Amiga Kickstart insert disk screen. The HxC2001 clicks as if the Amiga is polling it but it never boots.

Basically the AUTOBOOT.HFE works but any HFEs I create are ignored. Could I be making a mistake in the ADF/HFE conversion ?

Thanks in advance

Mal
What is displayed on the drive screen ?

mal

Post by mal »

It shows the name of the file on the top line and T:002/084 S:0 on the second. The drive clicks and the 002 changes to 000 then clicks and back to 002 again.

I've used the same device with a different SD card on my Atari ST and it worked fine in my limited testing.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Sound to be a floppy ribbon issue. Have you tried another one?

mal

Post by mal »

Thank you for the suggestion. I have now tried 4 different cables with the same results. 1 was the original that came with the Amiga and two are new ones I purchased for this project.

Any other suggestions ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm
Thank you for the suggestion. I have now tried 4 different cables with the same results. 1 was the original that came with the Amiga and two are new ones I purchased for this project.

Any other suggestions ?
The disk change signal doesn't work.

Please check :
-> That you are using the right files for Amiga. (HFE interface mode set to Amiga...)
-> Switch settings set to ID0-A.
-> That you don't have forced an interface mode into the device. to be sure, enter the internal menu and do a "clear eeprom".
-> Check the host machine : the floppy ribbon, the chips connections into there sockets... These some very common issues.

mal

Post by mal »

I've worked out the problem. It appears I hadn't been converting the ADFs to HFEs correctly. I think I had to specifically set the Amiga option in the settings of the conversion program rather than using the Auto setting.

I did find a few sample HFE files that someone had posted here for you to test. I used them and they worked OK so I knew the problem wasn't hardware. I also spoke to Phil from the local Amiga Users Group who was very helpful. I think I was over thinking the task.

Anyway, all good now.

Thank you all for your help

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok fine then :D !