Converting BBC .ssd to FM DS

Remklep

Converting BBC .ssd to FM DS

Post by Remklep »

Hi,
I have a lot of Acorn BBC games that are in .ssd format.
I would like to convert them to FM DS 80 track .hfe.
Using the HxC Floppy Emulator "RAW File Format configurator" I was able to create a FM 80track DS .hfe that my BBC can read, Drive 0 and 2.
I saved the layout as a "predefined Disk layout" .fpf file.

How do I now convert an existing game SS .ssd file to a DS .hfe?

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Converting BBC .ssd to FM DS

Post by Jeff »

Remklep wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm
Hi,
I have a lot of Acorn BBC games that are in .ssd format.
I would like to convert them to FM DS 80 track .hfe.
Using the HxC Floppy Emulator "RAW File Format configurator" I was able to create a FM 80track DS .hfe that my BBC can read, Drive 0 and 2.
I saved the layout as a "predefined Disk layout" .fpf file.

How do I now convert an existing game SS .ssd file to a DS .hfe?

Thanks.
Acorn ssd files are directly supported by the HxC firmwarefor Gotek. Unless you want to do something "special" ?

Anyway i will add the xml description in the HxC software.
EDIT : Already supported natively by the HxC software : Just load/drag and drop them on the main window !

Remklep

Re: Converting BBC .ssd to FM DS

Post by Remklep »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the help.
The problem I had/have is that the original .ssd file seems to be a single sided disk image.
There is no Drive 2.
In the case of Elite, that is a problem, as I cannot save my commander on the same drive Elite runs from (drive 0), it reports "Catt Full" as there cannot be more than 31 files on a disk with DFS 1770.
So I would like to convert the Single sided disk image to double sided, so I can then utilize Drive 2 for the savegames.

There is another way offcourse, I created an empty disc image and saved the savegames there.
This however is ver cumbersome as I need to change the active image on the Gotek twice while playing (once to jump to the emty drive to save and then back to the Elite image).