5-way navigation switch

solarmon

5-way navigation switch

Post by solarmon »

Hi Jeff,

I really do appreciate the flexibility and options that the HxC custom firmware on the Gotek gives me, so that is why I have been trying quite a few different navigation methods to try to determine which is the best option for me.

I have this 5-way navigation switch module - each of the switches are just basically push-to-close switches, without any pull-up/down resistors.

In Blackberry Trackball mode, it sort of works, but there seems to be double stepping of files - for when the switch closes and when it opens. You can choose to have the COMmon pin connected to either VCC or GND, buy in this case, it only works when it is connected to GND.

This might seem another edge case for a feature request, but would it be possible to have a custom option to make the DIR and CK pins just for normal push-to-close switches?

I'm planning to connect the SET and RST switches on this module to the left/down and right/up switches on the Gotek respectively - I'm not envisaging any issues with this as it should just be a straight push-to-close switch swap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Navigation-But ... 2755243491

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: 5-way navigation switch

Post by Jeff »

solarmon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 pm
I have this 5-way navigation switch module - each of the switches are just basically push-to-close switches, without any pull-up/down resistors.

In Blackberry Trackball mode, it sort of works, but there seems to be double stepping of files - for when the switch closes and when it opens. You can choose to have the COMmon pin connected to either VCC or GND, buy in this case, it only works when it is connected to GND.
The code currently react at rising and falling edge trackball signal. Maybe just rising edge only is enough and may solve the double stepping issue ?
solarmon wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 pm
This might seem another edge case for a feature request, but would it be possible to have a custom option to make the DIR and CK pins just for normal push-to-close switches?

I'm planning to connect the SET and RST switches on this module to the left/down and right/up switches on the Gotek respectively - I'm not envisaging any issues with this as it should just be a straight push-to-close switch swap.
So basically you want the gotek push buttons functionalities on the rotary pin header ?

solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Yes - so either a 0.5/half step rotary encoder option, or same functionality as the gotek buttons. The latter option might be better since then you can also hold it down to scroll faster. (Unless you can implement same acceleration option with rotary encoder inputs?)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

solarmon wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 am
Yes - so either a 0.5/half step rotary encoder option, or same functionality as the gotek buttons. The latter option might be better since then you can also hold it down to scroll faster. (Unless you can implement same acceleration option with rotary encoder inputs?)
Done : https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/
(both options available).

solarmon

Post by solarmon »

Jeff wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 am
solarmon wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:44 am
Done : https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/
(both options available).
Hi,

Thank you very much!

Just tested and:

1. Custom firmware page shows "single step rotary" option twice.
2. "Single step Blackberry trackball" and "Double step Blackberry trackball" works as expected.
3. "Extra up / down buttons" works near-perfectly for the push-to-close switches (COM pin connected to GND) - can hold down to cycle through files, can access menu, but cannot use it for firmware update (I assume it is a bootloader feature?).

Jeff_HxC2001

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

solarmon wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 am
1. Custom firmware page shows "single step rotary" option twice.
yes done as it : first default value, then the possible values.
solarmon wrote:
2. "Single step Blackberry trackball" and "Double step Blackberry trackball" works as expected.
ok
solarmon wrote:
3. "Extra up / down buttons" works near-perfectly for the push-to-close switches (COM pin connected to GND) - can hold down to cycle through files, can access menu, but cannot use it for firmware update (I assume it is a bootloader feature?).
yes this is a bootloader feature.