I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post Reply
marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by marctronixx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:30 am

All,

I have an XP box and with a floppy drive in it.
i use omniflop to make disk images.
i have an HXC flashed gotek drive in the s950.

after I make the floppy image using the omniflop, what do I do to "convert" this image to an image the Hxc flashed gotek can read?

what I attempted to do was just rename the image file to "DSKA0004.hfe" (example).

the gotek lets me "select" this file (004) on the usb using the push buttons on the goteck, but it then defaults back to "000" in the led display almost immediately.

clearly its not as simple as what I am doing, can someone kindly help me bridge the gap?

as an aside, I purchased this drive with 3 floppy images already on the usb (000, to 003). those images load up fine.

i read the hxc tutorial pdf but it is confusing.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6693
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:35 am

marctronixx wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:30 am
All,

I have an XP box and with a floppy drive in it.
i use omniflop to make disk images.
i have an HXC flashed gotek drive in the s950.

after I make the floppy image using the omniflop, what do I do to "convert" this image to an image the Hxc flashed gotek can read?

what I attempted to do was just rename the image file to "DSKA0004.hfe" (example).

the gotek lets me "select" this file (004) on the usb using the push buttons on the goteck, but it then defaults back to "000" in the led display almost immediately.

clearly its not as simple as what I am doing, can someone kindly help me bridge the gap?

as an aside, I purchased this drive with 3 floppy images already on the usb (000, to 003). those images load up fine.

i read the hxc tutorial pdf but it is confusing.
No need to convert them, just rename them DSKA0000.IMG,DSKA0001.IMG,DSKA0002.IMG,...

EDIT : Which firmware version have you ? (remove the stick, press both buttons and choose 'F' to read it)

anyway if you want to convert them to HFE use the hxc software :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... r_soft.zip

marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by marctronixx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

wow a response from the man himself. Thank you sir.

I do have a license because I paid for it and I have the software on the stick, but when I remove the usb thumb drive and press both buttons, nothing happens. :|

ok ill try the img trick , but the 3 images that the s950 have no problem reading all end in .hfe.

if i DON'T have to convert then that's perfect! I just want these to work on the s950.

EDIT: renaming the file to .img (that's how omniflop copies the image from the floppy) the gotek does not see it at all. at least when I renamed it to ".hfe" it would SEE the image but it woudl quickly revert to "000".

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6693
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Are you sure that you have the HxC firmware installed ? What can you read on the Gotek display without usb stick inserted ?

marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by marctronixx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Mr. JEff,

the gotek boots up and shows "hXc" on the display.

there are 3 images the gotek can read. they are "DSKA000X.hfe" where "X" is the image file.

I have your program on the usb that shipped with the gotek.

it seems to work but clearly something is missing. i appreciate your help. can you provide more help please?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6693
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 pm

marctronixx wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:24 pm
Mr. JEff,

the gotek boots up and shows "hXc" on the display.

there are 3 images the gotek can read. they are "DSKA000X.hfe" where "X" is the image file.

I have your program on the usb that shipped with the gotek.

it seems to work but clearly something is missing. i appreciate your help. can you provide more help please?
Ok then i think that you have a quite old firmware version (something <= 3.0.8.2)
Please update the firmware :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

Here is the procedure :
USB HxC Floppy Emulator Update procedure :

:arrow: Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a FAT32/FAT16/FAT12 USB flash device.
:arrow: Insert the USB Stick into the emulator and press both buttons.
:arrow: Power up the device and keep the buttons pressed during at least 2 seconds.
:arrow: Wait some seconds... its done !

Bootstrap error codes:

Error 1 : (blink 1 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) No entry point (->no software flashed)
Error 2 : (blink 2 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) USB init error.
Error 3 : (blink 3 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) FAT error.
Error 4 : (blink 4 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) UPD File not found!
Error 5 : (blink 5 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad UPD File header! (bad file)
Error 6 : (blink 6 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data crc! (file corrupted)
Error 7 : (blink 7 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Bad data size!
Error 8 : (blink 8 time and 2 seconds pause cycle) Write error (STM32 flash error)

Jeff / HxC2001

marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by marctronixx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

Mr. Jeff,

deleted the post but you can see it..

anyway I updated to the latest "beta" version at the above link. i did the update now the drive shows "Nor" when i insert the thumbdrive. thumb drive is formatted fat32.

do I need to add the "HXCSDFE.CFG" file to the root of the thumb drive? i added it anyway.

I press the two buttons to see the firmware version (the update seems to have worked --the led screen was animated with a line moving around like pacman :) ) and the first zero blinks then the last two blink. is this "flashing" out the version number?

Now when I add the DSKA000X.img files newly created from omniflop, the s950 shows "oops disk not mounted".

but then I press DISK again and the image file loads up and I can see the samples on the disk image.

however when I want to load up one of them i get "bad data on disk".... :cry:

appreciate any more help...

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6693
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:46 am

marctronixx wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am
Mr. Jeff,

deleted the post but you can see it..

anyway I updated to the latest "beta" version at the above link. i did the update now the drive shows "Nor" when i insert the thumbdrive. thumb drive is formatted fat32.

do I need to add the "HXCSDFE.CFG" file to the root of the thumb drive? i added it anyway.
Yes but you need to use the indexed version ! You can found in the firmware archive :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

In the folder "Config_Files/Indexed_mode"
marctronixx wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

I press the two buttons to see the firmware version (the update seems to have worked --the led screen was animated with a line moving around like pacman :) ) and the first zero blinks then the last two blink. is this "flashing" out the version number?
Yes this seems fine. When you see "hXc" press both buttons and then use the up or down button to choose 'F'. wait ~2 seconds, it will show you the code version.

marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by marctronixx » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:57 am

Mr. Jeff,

I installed that cgf file you linked me to from the "Config_Files/Indexed_mode" folder. I removed the earlier one.

gotek has the latest beta firmware (verified by using the push button method you described)

i added a freshly made DSKA0000.img image (DSKA plus FOUR ZEROS since that is the only file image I loaded).

pressing DISK will sometimes show a oops disk not mounted . I have to press DISK a few times to get the s950 to read the image. when it finally does this "000" will blink once. THEN the s950 sees the image.

i then can scroll the image to see the samples, but once I press load to load up a sample, i get oops bad data from disk.

ive made several different images from several different floppies--they all do the same result.

Appreciate any more input sir. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6693
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: I don't understand how to convert s950 image to Hxc for gotek.

Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:57 am

marctronixx wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:57 am
Mr. Jeff,

I installed that cgf file you linked me to from the "Config_Files/Indexed_mode" folder. I removed the earlier one.

gotek has the latest beta firmware (verified by using the push button method you described)

i added a freshly made DSKA0000.img image (DSKA plus FOUR ZEROS since that is the only file image I loaded).

pressing DISK will sometimes show a oops disk not mounted . I have to press DISK a few times to get the s950 to read the image. when it finally does this "000" will blink once. THEN the s950 sees the image.

i then can scroll the image to see the samples, but once I press load to load up a sample, i get oops bad data from disk.

ive made several different images from several different floppies--they all do the same result.

Appreciate any more input sir. :D
To activate the Akai mode : Remove the stick, press button, choose "0", wait the selection and then choose "0C".

You can also just change the .img extension to .aka (no need to touch this menu in this case)

More details about this menu :
:arrow: Original 7 Segments Gotek Menu :

-> To access it, remove the USB Stick and press both buttons.
--> Choose the sub menu number - wait some seconds for the selection validation.
---> Check and/or change the setting - wait some seconds for the selection validation.

The new setting is then saved into the device.

Current Menu and sub menu definition :

Menu 0 - System family selection :

00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Amiga
02 = Acorn
03 = Atari ST
04 = IBM PC AT/XT
05 = Camputer Lynx
06 = Commodore 1581
07 = Thomson
08 = x68000
09 = SAMCOUPE
0A = MSX
0B = Spectrum
0C = Akai
0D = Casio
0E = Emax
0F = Ensoniq
10 = General Music
11 = Korg
12 = Ensoniq ASR10 (Ensoniq Auto DD & HD support)
13 = Opus Discovery
14 = TI99/4A

Menu 1 - Interface mode :

00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = IBM PC DD
02 = IBM PC HD
03 = ATARI ST DD
04 = ATARI ST HD
05 = AMIGA DD
06 = AMIGA HD
07 = CPC DD
08 = GENERIC SHUGART DD
09 = IBMPC ED
0A = MSX2 DD
0B = C64 DD
0C = EMU SHUGART
0D = S950 DD
0E = S950 HD
0F = S900/S950 (Density Auto)
10 = PC DD/HD (Density Auto)

Menu 2 - Write protect mode :

00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Write protected.
02 = Write enabled.

Menu 3 - Double Step :

00 = AUTO (DEFAULT)
01 = Single step
02 = Double step

Menu 4 - User interface mode :

00 = AUTO (DEFAULT/From Config file)
01 = Normal mode
02 = Indexed mode
03 = Autoboot/selector mode

Menu 5 - Auto select delay :

01-08 : Delay (number of seconds).

Menu 6 - Head settling delay :

00-30 : Delay (number of milli-seconds).

Menu 7 - Rotary type :

00 = 1 increment per step rotary.
01 = 2 increment per step rotary.
02 = Disable.

Menus 8<->E : Not currently assigned.

Menu F - Display firmware version

Note : To clear/reset all settings to the default values, press the right button at power up.

marctronixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:21 am

wow solved!

Post by marctronixx » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:24 am

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To activate the Akai mode : Remove the stick, press button, choose "0", wait the selection and then choose "0C".

:lol: 8) THAT DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you sir. This was the missing link!! LOL

wow, many thanks!! high praise! I feel like breakdancin'!

Post Reply