Akai S-20 / Gotek HxC

eeling

Akai S-20 / Gotek HxC

Post by eeling »

Hi, first post here, new to this but keen to start upgrading a bunch of older equipment.

I've started by installing a USB Gotek Floppy Emulator v3.0.8.2a & it appears to boot fine however the Akai S20 is unable to read or write to it, giving me the message n o F o. From the S20 manual:

"If you insert a disk not formatted for the S20 or if there is no disk inserted in the S20's drive, you will see
n o F o in the display. Select a different disk."

S20 is unable to format the drive itself.
The Floppy drive cable does have a fold or twist in it, I've tried attaching in reverse & the message is P r o t , meaning the disc is write protected. I have also tried with both s0 & s1, as well as MO jumpers.

Would really appreciate any help!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Akai S-20 / Gotek HxC

Post by Jeff »

eeling wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:24 am
Hi, first post here, new to this but keen to start upgrading a bunch of older equipment.

I've started by installing a USB Gotek Floppy Emulator v3.0.8.2a & it appears to boot fine however the Akai S20 is unable to read or write to it, giving me the message n o F o. From the S20 manual:

"If you insert a disk not formatted for the S20 or if there is no disk inserted in the S20's drive, you will see
n o F o in the display. Select a different disk."

S20 is unable to format the drive itself.
The Floppy drive cable does have a fold or twist in it, I've tried attaching in reverse & the message is P r o t , meaning the disc is write protected. I have also tried with both s0 & s1, as well as MO jumpers.

Would really appreciate any help!
Hi,

First i recommend you to update the firmware to the latest version available :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

(Update procedure : https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... pdate.html )

And three questions :
- is the green led always lit ?
- what can you see on the gotek "display" ?
- which file images are you using ?

eeling

Post by eeling »

Hey Jeff, thanks for getting back to me. I've updated the firmware, still getting the same NoFo message.

The Green does appear to be always lit.

The screen shows 'HxC' briefly before displaying '000'
The first time I press the > button I get a '-' , otherwise the buttons don't seem to be changing anything

I've tried a variety of images, the default ones that came with the drive, various versions created with the HxC image software using various settings or using preset akai machines settings. Renamed: DSKA0000.HFE
I understand this part of the process the least so if anything is likely to be the cause of an issue it is probably the disc images.

the usb contains only the following files- DSKA0000.HFE, HXCFEUSB_V3_1_16_2a.UPD & HXCSDFE.CFG (Indexed mode)

Thanks, Alex

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eeling wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 am

The Green does appear to be always lit.
This is the problem. Disconnect the floppy ribbon and reconnect it to the other way.

(And please update to the HXCFEUSB_V3_1_16_3a.UPD i have just released!)

eeling

Post by eeling »

Thanks - unfortunately that hasn't worked. On further observation: the green light isn't always lit, only after attempting to initiate load or save & getting NoFo message is it staying lit. When I reversed the cable the green LED stayed permanently lit.

I am finding I am occasionally able to save & load a sample to 000, maybe only if it is very short, perhaps less than half a second, otherwise it's pretty much giving me the same message. Could this be an issue with the HFE or CFG files? I'm confused.

Thank you for your help, will update to the most recent firmware now.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eeling wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 am
Thanks - unfortunately that hasn't worked. On further observation: the green light isn't always lit, only after attempting to initiate load or save & getting NoFo message is it staying lit. When I reversed the cable the green LED stayed permanently lit.

I am finding I am occasionally able to save & load a sample to 000, maybe only if it is very short, perhaps less than half a second, otherwise it's pretty much giving me the same message. Could this be an issue with the HFE or CFG files? I'm confused.

Thank you for your help, will update to the most recent firmware now.
Which HFE files are you using ?

Can you try to use some blank S950 HFEs present into this archive ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... Images.zip

Otherwise if this doesn't work (anyway this should work) we will switch to the img file images...

eeling

Post by eeling »

Have updated to HXCFEUSB_V3_1_16_3a.UPD

I copied in the entire content of the S950 folder (30x HFE + CFG) & the Gotek display was showing 'Nor'.

After changing back to the default CFG I am having the same operation, the drive will save & load a very short sample, only to DKSA0001. NoFo for all other save attempts.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Please use the indexed CFG file from the firmware archive :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

Set the S0 jumper.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Try also this :

remove the DSKA0000.HFE and unpack this IMG file instead :
DSKA0000.IMG.zip
(2 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
On the emulator, without any stick inserted, press both buttons then choose '0' and '0C' (this set akai mode)
again press both buttons, then choose '1' and '0F' (this set S900/S950 (Density Auto) interface mode).

Insert the stick and try to save / load on 000.

eeling

Post by eeling »

Now when I attempt to save to 000 I get *SAVE* > FULL > SAVE? > CLEAR > NoFo which is unusual? Same Outcome but doesn't usually say it's full?

Still NoFo for 001, 002...

Sorry this is such a bother

(POSTED BEFORE I SAW YOUR ABOVE POST - GIVE ME A MINUTE TO TRY THESE INSTRUCTIONS)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

the DSKA0000.HFE is not empty and have some S950 samples. BTW Do you know if the S20 can read S950 samples ?

Can you try to format 001 with the S20 ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If this still not working, please retry with another and different usb stick...

eeling

Post by eeling »

I've added DSKA0000.IMG into the drive-

After trying 00C followed by 10F I tried to save & get the message 'FULL' with no options.

I don't know if the s20 is compatible with other akai discs, sorry.

When I format 2HD 001 I get 'E r r d'.

Will find another USB now...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eeling wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:24 am
Just see this about the floppy ribbon. i didn't expect to find these kind of twisted floppy ribbons in these machines. i suppose that the original ribbon was replaced by a PC ribbon ?.
This can be troublesome if the floppy ribbon is wrongly connected. And it also change the jumper setting to use : "S0" become "MO"...
Can you put some pictures of your connections ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

eeling wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am
I've added DSKA0000.IMG into the drive-

After trying 00C followed by 10F I tried to save & get the message 'FULL' with no options.
Don't forget to remove DSKA0000.HFE !

And please also check my previous comment.