Gotek Disk Ready Errors

mal

Gotek Disk Ready Errors

Post by mal »

Good Evening,

I have a Gotek unit which I have flashed with the HXC firmware. I am testing it in a couple of Amiga 500s - one with Kickstart 1.2 and the other with Kickstart 2.

In indexed Mode with DSKA0000.HFE as a copy of Workbench 1.2 it begins to boot and then asks me to reinsert the disk which - of course - I have not removed.

In Autoboot Mode the File Selector software starts then stops with "ERROR: HxC Drive not detected !"

Seems to me that I'm getting "disk" ready errors. I have read that all Goteks are the same - except maybe for number of lights and buttons - but I'm not sure. Is it possible that I have purchased an incompatible model ?

I have bought a display for it but it has not arrived as yet.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gotek Disk Ready Errors

Post by Jeff »

Have you set the jumper to S0 ?

mal

Post by mal »

Yes, ONLY S0 - nothing else jumpered.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:18 am
Yes, ONLY S0 - nothing else jumpered.
your floppy ribbon doesn't have any twist ?

Which firmware version are you using ? Any accelerator board in your Amiga ?

this issue wasn't fixed finally ? : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 702#p16702

mal

Post by mal »

I assume you mean the twist in the cable to switch drive 0 and 1 - no it doesn't have one of those. The cable is straight through.

I only recently bought a license for HxC and on the 25th October I downloaded V3.0.8.2a which I assume is the version I installed. With the File Selector not working the FW number is not displayed in the bottom left of the screen. Is there another way to find out ?

I've tried the Gotek in two different Amiga 500s. One with Kickstart 1.2 and the other Kickstart 2.0 - neither with acceleration.

That other issue WAS resolved as it related to an Lotharek unit in these same Amigas.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:40 pm
I assume you mean the twist in the cable to switch drive 0 and 1 - no it doesn't have one of those. The cable is straight through.

I only recently bought a license for HxC and on the 25th October I downloaded V3.0.8.2a which I assume is the version I installed. With the File Selector not working the FW number is not displayed in the bottom left of the screen. Is there another way to find out ?

I've tried the Gotek in two different Amiga 500s. One with Kickstart 1.2 and the other Kickstart 2.0 - neither with acceleration.

That other issue WAS resolved as it related to an Lotharek unit in these same Amigas.
If not done, set the jumper to S0.

Try to update to the lasted firmware present into the WIP folder :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip
Procedure :
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... pdate.html

mal

Post by mal »

I'm sorry to say that that made no difference.

The firmware you linked to was the same as the ONLY one I had downloaded onto my computer. I downloaded it again anyway and updated the Gotek - the segments on the display wormed around for a few seconds and then returned to 000. It immediately booted the File Chooser and displayed the same error message.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:01 am
I'm sorry to say that that made no difference.

The firmware you linked to was the same as the ONLY one I had downloaded onto my computer. I downloaded it again anyway and updated the Gotek - the segments on the display wormed around for a few seconds and then returned to 000. It immediately booted the File Chooser and displayed the same error message.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Mal
The same,but which one exactly ? Have you took the last one (HXCFEUSB_V3_0_33_12a.UPD) present into the Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools folder as i said earlier ?
If you got the very last version and that still doesn't work, try a different usb stick.

mal

Post by mal »

Good Evening Jeff,

Sorry I misunderstood your suggestion and installed the standard firmware - again.

I have NOW applied the 3_0_33_12a firmware but it made no difference. I used a different USB Flash Drive but got the same results. I even got a new one straight out of the packet and just put HXCSDFE.CFG and AUTOBOOT.HFE files but I got the same error.

I even flashed it with the HxCFEUSB_V3_0_28_1a_EXPERIMENTAL_AMIGADRIVE_ID.UPD but it made no difference.

Is there an older version I should try ?

Thanks for your help

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

installed the standard firmware - again.
Please keep the 3_0_33_12a firmware. This is not related to the firmware.

Is there any hardware or something else connected to this machine ?

Can you retry the normal HxC on this machine ?

mal

Post by mal »

Good Evening Jeff,

The only thing I have plugged in is an A520 video modulator.

I plugged the Lotharek HxC unit back in - using the same cables and changing nothing else - and it booted into the File Selector OK.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm
Good Evening Jeff,

The only thing I have plugged in is an A520 video modulator.

I plugged the Lotharek HxC unit back in - using the same cables and changing nothing else - and it booted into the File Selector OK.
Ok. If you have an USB SDCard reader: Take the SDCard you are using with the true HxC as it is and use it on the gotek. Still have the same issue ?

mal

Post by mal »

Good Morning Jeff,

I didn't think that would work - I thought the SD software was different from the USB one.

When I tried with my default reader the drive just displayed HxC and did nothing - I assume it didn't like what it saw.

I tried a second reader and it started booting and displayed the File Selector help screen with the FW details in the bottom left corner and then came up with an LBA Error. I warm booted and it booted the File Selector again but this time a list of files appeared but it must have locked up at that point as I couldn't select anything. A cold boot and the Help screen again. So I'm getting inconsistent results.

Thank for your continuing help

Mal

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mal wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm
Good Morning Jeff,

I didn't think that would work - I thought the SD software was different from the USB one.

When I tried with my default reader the drive just displayed HxC and did nothing - I assume it didn't like what it saw.

I tried a second reader and it started booting and displayed the File Selector help screen with the FW details in the bottom left corner and then came up with an LBA Error. I warm booted and it booted the File Selector again but this time a list of files appeared but it must have locked up at that point as I couldn't select anything. A cold boot and the Help screen again. So I'm getting inconsistent results.

Thank for your continuing help

Mal
this is becoming stranger. Have you another power supply to try ?

mal

Post by mal »

Jeff,

You're a very clever man.

I also have an A1200. I checked online and found that it's power supply is pin compatible with the A500 unit but puts out more wattage. I used it on the A500 and the Gotek works perfectly using the SD in the adapter - as you suggested - and also using the original USB Flash Drive.

I have issues with game compatibility with WB2.0 but that's for me to work out.

Now that I know it works I think I'll buy a few more Goteks and upgrade them using your excellent firmware.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks again for your help.

Mal